• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Storage

i'm no phone expert and i'm really stressed about this. i recently downloaded snapchat and that took up so much of my space, 300mb. for some reason ever since i bought my phone it's had low storage. i have 3mb of cached data because i'm always clearing it but that's not helping. it says i have about 138mb left even with my sd card in and all my apps moved to my sd card. i can't download any apps right now because it won't let me.. please help asap!

You will always have this issue as a believe your phone only has 4gb of internal space. You say you have an SD card, is it the maximum size of 32gb?

Although having apps installed to your SD card do help, not all apps or their data can be moved to the SD card. And as you are finding any app that is downloaded has to be installed to the internal space first, so if you have low space to begin with you will struggle to get apps installed.

Have you changed the storage location for your photos and videos to your SD card as this will greatly help your situation ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You will always have this issue as a believe your phone only has 4gb of internal space. You say you have an SD card, is it the maximum size of 32gb?

Although having apps installed to your SD card do help, not all apps or their data can be moved to the SD card. And as you are finding any app that is downloaded has to be installed to the internal space first, so if you have low space to begin with you will struggle to get apps installed.

Have you changed the storage location for your photos and videos to your SD card as this will greatly help your situation ?
yes i have changed the location for my photos and videos. almost everything's on the sd card but my internal storage is still around full.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that @brieecheesee . Sadly there is not a great deal you can do as you have found out.

The only thing I can suggest is that you remove any app you don't use (if you can) and monitor and clear the cache of the apps you do have to try and limit the storage issue.

For your next phone, always make sure you have the largest internal storage space you can afford. Remembering that with new phones come new operating systems that take up more storage space.

So do you research, once you find a phone you like a quick search online to see how much usable space you will get and make sure it has an SD card slot if possible to dump music, photos and videos onto; leaving space for apps on the internal space. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that @brieecheesee . Sadly there is not a great deal you can do as you have found out.

The only thing I can suggest is that you remove any app you don't use (if you can) and monitor and clear the cache of the apps you do have to try and limit the storage issue.

For your next phone, always make sure you have the largest internal storage space you can afford. Remembering that with new phones come new operating systems that take up more storage space.

So do you research, once you find a phone you like a quick search online to see how much usable space you will get and make sure it has an SD card slot if possible to dump music, photos and videos onto; leaving space for apps on the internal space. :thumbsupdroid:

thank you for helping anyways! i'm going to buy myself a new phone for christmas because i've had mine for about 6 years haha. i'll make sure my new one has more space!

Upvote 0
how do i do that? i'm no expert as i mentioned so i'm very confused
Go into Settings > Apps. Depending on your Android version you may have a tab to show all apps (pre-installed and user-installed), or you may have to select to view all apps and then choose the option to show system apps as well (look for a button consisting of 3 dots for further options). Once you can see the pre-installed apps you don't want, select that app then look for a button marked "disable".

Not all will have that button (ones where disabling would do bad things should not have it). But for those that have this will clear their data, uninstall their updates (both of which will save you some space) and stop them running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones