• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Storage ????

bhavin24

Lurker
Mar 20, 2012
Hi there,

I just recently purchased galaxy ace plus, the storage is supposed to be 4 gb.. but when i check from the phone setting/storage... it says
USB Storage available space - 1.82 gb
System storage - 852 MB

where is the rest of the storage? and if i could reduce that somehow?

If i download apps.. it goes into system storage.. when does usb storage gets used?

And the ram says should be 512.. it shows 398Mb total and out of that used 238 mb? is there any way to reduce ram.. uninstall preinstalled apps..safe?

Android's storage is partitioned into different parts;

There's the system partition, where all the apps are installed on, and there's the microSD (internal or external, or both) that is where you store your music, pictures, videos, documents and whatnot.

Most of the games (that are large in size) can be moved to the SD card, so you won't waste so much space of the system partition.

Hope this helped.

Reactions: bhavin24
Upvote 0
1. RAM - On Android, normal running is 80-90% of RAM used. If your RAM is free (empty), there's something wrong with your phone. Its very different from Windows. Putting often used apps pre-cached onto the RAM saves battery in the Android system.

2. This site says that the Ace Plus only has 3GB storage: Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 - Full phone specifications.
So with that, your storage numbers are correct.

Upvote 0
Hello, sorry for reviving this thread, however, if the phone functions take up the rest of the ram, why does the phone lag as hell when I'm using more than 350 mb ram? that includes when ppl call me, it takes ages to 1. light up the screen 2. match the number calling with a name from my phone book? seriously sometimes it takes more than 3 seconds to show me the name of the caller.
also, if I root the phone, can I allocate all the 512 mb ram to the processes I like?
thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Hello, sorry for reviving this thread, however, if the phone functions take up the rest of the ram, why does the phone lag as hell when I'm using more than 350 mb ram? that includes when ppl call me, it takes ages to 1. light up the screen 2. match the number calling with a name from my phone book? seriously sometimes it takes more than 3 seconds to show me the name of the caller.
also, if I root the phone, can I allocate all the 512 mb ram to the processes I like?
thanks in advance

Rooting a phone doesn't provide that option my friend, however it can be made possible by some tools and tricks but normally, I dont think u can allocate ram to any process in android... Btw it is not recommended in any case, result will be constant freezes and crashes. Android's ram management is far different from windows, it frees its ram when feels the need, that's why app killers are considered potentially harmful to android but if you want then try "Clean Master"

Upvote 0
It depends entirely on what apps you use. You may have set too many apps to remain active, which is why the phone is slowing down because several apps are taking turns activating to perform their functions. Some examples are launchers with too many widgets. ALso some apps use more resources than others. For example, Go Launcher is slower than Nova launcher on the same phone with the exact same setup. Use of task killers to free up RAM also contributes to slowing down the phone in the long run.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones