• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phone 'stuck' in manual mode

im going to purchase a gs2 in mint condition but is stuck in manual mode. im picking it up for less than the cost of a replacement digitizer (more on this later).

anywho, the guy says he hasnt flashed it, that one day he woke up and it started booting into manual mode. according to him, he can still turn it on but when it goes into manual mode, the power button stops working. i havent told him to try the home key because i want the phone for cheap.

anywho again, since it can be booted into recovery or download mode, can i just flash it with odin to a stock(rooted) rom, and would that solve the manual mode issue?

input is appreciated!

-edit-

if it cant be fixed, i plan on gutting it for the LCD and digitizer, since my digitizer has a small crack in it and needs replacing. the LCD, keep for spare parts, as well as the battery and whatever else i can salvage.

hm. crappy. the power button does not work, but i read that this might be due to the ICS upgrade.

is there any way to verify if the power button is indeed toast?

for now, i found an app called Gravity Screen that does the job of the power button, minus turning the phone off.

the only good thing is that the phone seems to automatically turn on when you pull the battery and put it back in.

Upvote 0
not sure how to do that. if you enlighten me, i will :D

plug the phone into the computer w usb debugging enabled. with the sdk and platform tools installed on the computer , through command prompt (windows) navigate to the platform-tools folder (c:/android/sdk/platform-tools/) type adb devices to ensure the device is connected and then type "adb logcat"

adb logcat -d > logcat.txt will export the log into A text file

Upvote 0
alright, so i was able to get the phone going on cricket, but turns out that you cant do a free ESN swap with flashed phones, you have to pay 15 bucks. the free esn swap on cricket's webpage are for cricket-branded phones only.

however, after the swap and *228, phone works great, albeit no power button... but gravity screen app fixes the need for one and actually prevents my wife from butt/pocket dialing me.

shes mighty happy with her 45$ (total cost, 30 phone 15 esn swap) phone thats loads faster than her galaxy discover.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones