1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone sucking up mobile data

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rappy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. rappy

rappy Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Derby
    Hi there, I have recently purchased the HTC Sensation since Wednesday and I have 1 gig of mobile data with Orange on contract. I've noticed I'm using about 20 meg of data a day after only looking at a few websites, is this normal ? I'm running Onavo Lite which tells me which apps are running and the data that they're consuming and I have it for the moment to block the internet from downloading data when not in use. I've also got Watchdog Lite as well. Any tips on keeping my data usage down ? I've turned off pretty much everything that would consume data.

Advertisement

2. F0lix

F0lix Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    UK
    try to use wi fi networks whenever you can. I set my wi fi to always on, just so it will use wi fi whenever it can.
    you could set your apps to sync less often too, just to ease the data use.
    Id recoment turning data off all together whilst your sleeping, just cos you're not going to be reading emails in your sleep and as i found out, you won't be woken up by the beeps of new email

3. lio52

lio52 Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    West Yorks, UK
    Pretty much what's said here, I turn 3g off and only turn it on when I need to use it and seems to keep good control over data usage

4. rappy

rappy Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Derby
    I'll be getting wifi at my home pretty soon so that should help, although wifi uses the battery really quickly. I've got everything in the settings turned off so hopefully things improve. I'm wondering if you use more data when you zoom in on a web page? A lot of the time when I'm out and about I either can't get a free wifi hotspot or they are a really poor signal. I always turn off 3g when I'm not using it.

5. master_yoda

master_yoda Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Agree.

I would add, once you have it set up well so some of the stuff you dont need syncing doesnt sync and the other stuff doesnt update too frequently you'll find it will use a lot less data and your battery life will improve greatly aswell.

Cheers

6. master_yoda

master_yoda Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Actually browsing over Wifi uses a lot less battery than browsing over 3G for me.

Nah, but if you want to use less data while browsing try opera mini off the market.

cheers

7. Macdonut

Macdonut Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    Specifically went to 3 for their "all you can eat data" deal as I knew I'd use lots. One of the best networks for tethering the phone and making it into a Wi-fi hotspot too.

8. rappy

rappy Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Derby
    I've got wireless at home now which saves me eating into my 1 gig a month of data from Orange.