1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phone suggestion - $200 price range

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by cburbs, Jun 15, 2011.

1. cburbs

cburbs Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    I haven't owned a cell phone for a while as my jobs always provided them. I am currently not working so was looking at getting one again. I have done alot of research but still not sure which phone is right for me.

Things I am looking to get out of a phone - $200 or less w/ contract
    Play games, take pics, use internet, record video....in a sense an all in one product on the go.

My wife has the Droid x and I like what that has to offer. I would probably go thru Verizon since that is what she is on.

So some options in that price range are the Droid X, Droid X2, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Thunderbolt.

Any suggestions on why one over the other....

Advertisement

2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    My 2 cents are to go with either HTC phone. I have the original Incredible and it's still going strong. The Sense UI is great to work with too. The Thunderbolt I don't know much about but it seems to get pretty good reviews too. (In my personal opinion I stay away from Motorola products so I can't give you any advise on those).

3. cburbs

cburbs Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Pros/cons on each one of the devices listed?

4. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    I can't give you a Pro/Con list. Sorry. It's my own opinion that the htc products are better built and more user friendly. As far as anything else I think the thunderbolt is a bit cumbersome.

5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    HTC Thunderbolt is the only 4G option that you listed. It's a great phone but many users do not feel the battery life is good enough to get them through the day. It works for me as I am at 41% left after 13.5 hours off the charger (but mine is rooted and running custom firmware which does help with battery life). It's a nice device and HTC Sense is the best Android skin available IMO.

The DX2 is the only phone that you listed with a dual core processor. It is a beast of a phone. Battery life should be much better with this vs. the TBolt (bigger battery and no 4G). Your wife has the DX so you are used to what motoblur looks like...but it's awful and it slows down the phone too much IMO.

The DX is probably going for less than the DX2 so if you are looking to cut cost...this might be an option but the DX2 is definitely worth an extra $100. I wouldn't go this route.

The DInc2 is a nice phone but would be my last choice because the screen is smaller. But hey, I like big screens. It doesn't have 4G and it is a single core processor...so it really doesn't have anything going for it other than it is a sleek device that has respectable specs. Again, it has HTC sense which I like over motoblur...but its only advantage over the TBolt would be better battery life.

That help? I live in a great 4G area so for me...the TB is where its at and I feel it is a better phone than the newer Samsung Droid Charge (except for battery life...see a trend here?). My second choice of the phones you listed would be the DX2 but really, I hate motoblur and the locked bootloaders too much to buy Motorola at this time.

6. cburbs

cburbs Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    what are some of the key differences between the HTC Sense and Motoblur?

I looked at some Youtube videos and to me it looks like interface/layout.

7. sweeds

sweeds Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    HTC rox & Motoblur blowz

(lol sorry - time for my lunch break!)

8. cburbs

cburbs Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Another question is can I buy one of these used and not activate it and use it at home on the internet the same way except for the phone part? Can I still get all the updates/apps etc?