1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

phone system updete

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jabon88, Oct 26, 2017.

1. jabon88

jabon88 Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2017
    i need my phone system updete can you help me

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    What phone do you have, what version are you on?

However, there may not be much we can do. The manufacturer adapts Android for their device and builds the OS, and they provide updates (or not, as the case may be). Go into the phone's settings, scroll to the bottom, and somewhere in there (usually under "About", though it's called "System" in my current phone) you'll find the "software updates" settings. You can check for updates there.

If there isn't one there are two possibilities. The most common is that the manufacturer hasn't produced one. If that's the case then you are stuck, unless the phone is popular enough that someone has built a custom ROM for it and you are willing/able to root the phone.

Alternatively if you are using a phone originally sold through one carrier on a different network it may not be able to find updates (because if the original carrier modified the software they have to distribute updates). In this case it may be possible to find the software online somewhere, but we'll need to know model, original carrier and current software. Only possible for some brands and some carriers.

There is no generic android that can be installed on all phones. It has to be built for the specific device (true for all mobile operating systems), so those are the only options. All manufacturers stop supporting phones at some point, budget devices get less support, cheap generic devices never get any updates (software support costs the company money, so the cheapest devices don't get any).

lunatic59 likes this.
  3. A bochur

A bochur Android Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016
    Male
    I wanna add that if you bought an att (example) phone but u are using a T-Mobile SIM card, make sure to put in an att Sim and that should help as long as there is supposed to be an update.