1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phone / System-wide Mute?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by d6riffiths, Sep 27, 2017.

1. d6riffiths

d6riffiths Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2017
    I recently got the new Google Assistant for my LG V20 (H990DS). When I drive to work I listen to music through Android Auto and Google Play Music. I stop to get coffee, turn the car off, take the phone with me, get coffee, then get back in the car and resume driving and ATTEMPT to resume playing music. Around 50% of the time the music will play BUT I won't hear anything. I can see the progress bar moving, but there is no sound in the car from AA at all. It's as if a mute button was pressed. However my phone is NOT in silent mode (not that this would affect the GPM playback). All volumes are normal on phone and car. I've tried unplugging the phone, playing the music on just the phone in GPM but nothing is heard. I even try my regular music app, Poweramp, but it too will not make any sound. The only solution I know is to restart my phone, which I do. While it restarts I plug it back into the headunit. Once the phone has restarted I see this error message from Android Auto: 

<p dir='ltr' style='margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; text-align:start;'>'No installed apps work with this USB accessory. Learn more about this at&#160;http://www.android.com/auto/' Then I have two buttons, Cancel or View. View takes me to that web address, and Cancel closes the message.&#160;</p>

<p dir='ltr' style='margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; text-align:start;'>Playing music again through AA and GPM works now that I have restarted... So what's going on? Who is to blame? AA? Google Assistant? My phone? My car?&#160;</p>

UPDATE: The issue happened again today, but in a slightly different way. The drive to work (and my usual coffee stop) went fine. But later in the day I left work at lunch time, drove to the shops, stopped car, got out, had lunch, got back in car, drove back to work, all music worked. BUT when I got back to my desk at work, my phone wouldn't play music / sound. It was as if it was in this unusual 'phone / system-wide mute' and nothing would play. I tried GPM, Poweramp, even a video in the Gallery that I had shot recently.&#160;

<p dir='ltr' style='margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; text-align:start;'>This is the first time it has happened outside of AA, so maybe it's a phone issue and unrelated to AA. I am suspicious of the HiFi feature of the V20, which I have used since day 1. I'll turn it off and report back. </p>

Advertisement

2. d6riffiths

d6riffiths Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2017
    Update: I've had my built in HiFi Quad DAC disabled for the past week to see if that was the issue, but the problem happened this morning, so it is not the culprit.

I now suspect Google Assistant.

How to uninstall?

LG V20

The LG V20 is a flagship that launched in September 2016. The device launched with Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. The phone featured a 5.7-inch Quantum IPS display, Snapdragon 820 chipset, dua-rear cameras,a secondary display, and more.