• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone turns itself off

staffsmatt

Jun 7, 2010
Hi, I'm having a very intermitent problem with my HTC Legend just turning itself off (press the button to turn on the screen and it starts up). I've had it about 6 months.

This has so far happened twice, is there any log anywhere for errors, like event viewer in windows (or an app that will do this).

The only app that I can think of that might have something to do with it is quick settings (I have no proof that it has and I don't think anyone else has reported this, it's just that I re-installed quick settings last night and the phone did it again this morning).

Battery is at 100% (10 minutes off charge).

I don't really know where to start trouble shooting as it only happens so infrequently....

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Matt

I had this problem the first two weeks on my Desire Z. What I did a week ago is remove the battery and then clean the contacts of the battery and the phone and then reseat the battery. Since I did that a week ago, I have not experienced any auto power off.

I've seen this issue with other devices like cordless phones. The contacts get dirty and the battery may shift ever so slightly as the device is moved. If the battery and contacts are dirty, debris may get between the contacts enough to cut off the power causing the phone to shut down. Removing the battery and cleaning the contacts will help for a while until the contacts get dirty again.

Upvote 0
I had this problem the first two weeks on my Desire Z. What I did a week ago is remove the battery and then clean the contacts of the battery and the phone and then reseat the battery. Since I did that a week ago, I have not experienced any auto power off.

Correct, it's about the battery not making good contact. My wife experienced this on her Legend the first week and I figured out it was the battery right away. I've got an extended battery that fits a bit tight and have never experienced this on my phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, I've taken the battery out and cleaned it. (there were marks from the battery connectors on all 4 of the contact marks)... It could be the battery but I can't see how it works loose whilst lying flat on a desk and not moving....

Just to double check roeylee could you cast your eyes over this list of software I've got installed (I'm thinking it could be a clash) - the ones with stars next to them have been installed since the last shutdown to replace Quick Settings which I have uninstalled.

- Smart Keyboard PRO
- Apps Organizer
- SMS Backup & Restore
- Angry Birds
- Brightness Control*
- BBC News
- BBC Sport News Center
- Battleflood
- Bubble Blast 2
- Bubble Popper
- Checkers
- English for Smart Keyboard
- Folder Organizer
- Gmail
- MapDroyd
- Mission Control Widget SD *
- Opera Mini Web browser
- Rotation Toggler*
- SMS Popup
- SystemPanelLite Task Manager
- Volume Control
- Watchdog Task Manager Lite
- Wikidroid for Wikipedia
- AppBrain App Market
- In-App Wifi Toggle *
- Official eBay Android App
- Jewels
- My Tracks
- Wifi Analyzer
- SMS Unread Count
- DigiClock Widget
- OnTrack Diabetes
- Air Control Lite
- Grammar Up
- Google Sky Map
- Barcode Scanner
- Google Maps
- Facebook for Android
- Alchemy
- Nudnik Calendar Notifications
- ColorNote Notepad Notes
- BetterCut
- Compass
- Bubble
- Street View on Google Maps
- Pandora
- aiMinesweeper (minesweeper)
- Gmail Unread Count
- Pinball
- Robo Defense FREE
- SMS Cleaner Free
- Alarm Clock PlusV1
- Uninstaller
- ASTRO Bluetooth Module
- ASTRO SMB Module
- ASTRO File Manager
- Wifi Connecter Library
- YouTube

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, I've taken the battery out and cleaned it. (there were marks from the battery connectors on all 4 of the contact marks)... It could be the battery but I can't see how it works loose whilst lying flat on a desk and not moving....

If the contacts are dirty, the voltage may be prone to dropping even if you are not moving it at the time. If you set it down on a table, it is possible that the voltage is barely OK at that time. Then after a while, the voltage may drop slightly due to the dirty contacts and cause a restart.

In any case, see how your phone works for a few days before you start changing anything else. If you are still having issues, then you can eliminate dirty battery contacts from the possibilities. If it works OK, then problem solved.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update on this one. I've contacted HTC (phone still does it after froyo update) who have said that the phone needs to be sent in for repair (phone is only 6 months old so still under warrenty) I'll probably wait until after Christmas and then send it off.

I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update on this one. I've contacted HTC (phone still does it after froyo update) who have said that the phone needs to be sent in for repair (phone is only 6 months old so still under warrenty) I'll probably wait until after Christmas and then send it off.

I'll keep you posted.

I did the same thing. HTC told me to do a hard reset. That didn't work. Since I don't want to miss my phone for two weeks, I'm not very happy with that answer. I'll try to clean my battery etc. Hope that works ;)

Upvote 0
Just got my phone back from the repair centre. It's come back with the same serial number but a different IMEI number so I'm guessing they've swapped the motherboard.

To be honest I'm really please with the service from them (you can even check the status of your repair online which I've been practically glued to for the last week!)

Hopefully they've solved the problem!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones