1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone unusable when on charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CrashX, Sep 17, 2011.

1. CrashX

CrashX Newbie
    None

May 1, 2010
    Picked it up on launch day. Love it so far. Tried the Photon for a month and think this is leaps and bounds better, plus no calling bug. Significantly faster than my Evo.

Only problem I've noticed. While I had it on the charger the first time, the touch screen became unusable. It was acting wonky as all get out. The clicks were registering on the wrong parts of the screen or not at all.

What's up with that? I saw another post that referenced it and said the previous Galaxy S series had this as well. That seems crazy to me.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Advertisement

2. Sycobob

Sycobob Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    Physicist
    Tallahassee, FL
    I noticed this as well. Scrolling was too jittery to be usable. I didn't notice any other odd behavior though. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it. As annoying as it is though, if it's the biggest flaw my phone has I think I'll just live with it.

3. shawheim_a

shawheim_a Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2009
    My SGS2 works fine on the charger. I have only charged it once since 10 am yesterday morning. Needless to say, battery life rocks on this phone.

4. Cobravision

Cobravision Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    What's the amperage of the packed in charger?

5. CrashX

CrashX Newbie
    None

May 1, 2010
  6. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I don't know why you guys are having this issue, I bought two of these phones and i can play with them just fine while charging.

7. Cobravision

None

Jul 8, 2010
    I have read that a high amp charger like the one packed in with the ET can cause some screens to go screwy. See what happens if you use a lower amp charger like an old blackberry charger or if you use USB charging. The screen should respond normally.

Since it's not affecting everyone, either some people are recycling their 700ma Epic 4G chargers and not seeing it or it only affects some units.

8. CrashX

CrashX Newbie
    None

May 1, 2010
    That must be the case.
    Plugged in to the pc and it's fine. Plugged in to the wall and it's slow, but oddly enough, not every time.

9. unplugged1

unplugged1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I have a new HTC charger (the one where the USB cord comes straight out of the charger) and the display went all wacky. I have an older HTC charger (where the blades fold in and the USB cord comes off the side) and the display is just fine.

I guess it just depend what type of charger you use. Sort of a picky phone.

10. Cobravision

None

Jul 8, 2010
    I had my phone connected to the stock charger today and I was fiddling around with the screen and icons for a few minutes before I realized that there was... nothing wrong with the screen. I played with it for 20-30 minutes and the screen was fine the entire time.

11. unplugged1

None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Are you saying that the phone works with a Samsung charger? :)

12. CrashX

CrashX Newbie
    None

May 1, 2010
    I've noticed that it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it's wonky on the stock charger, other times it's not.

I have no idea what causes it sometimes. Maybe I'll discover the pattern.

13. unplugged1

None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    So some of you are actually having problems with the Samsung charger? That is weird. Is the USB cord the one supplied by Samsung also? I have found that the USB cord sometimes makes a huge difference with how a charger responds.

I have practically every brand (and no-brand) charge around the house. I have a cool mult-usb four port charger that I plug 4 micro-usb's into so the kids can all charge and use their phones while sitting in the living room. I have Palm, LG, Samsung, HTC and Blackberry. The only one with issues was the newer HTC charger.

When you do compare chargers, make sure you use the same USB cord when comparing. That way you eliminate the cord as a factor.

14. Cobravision

None

Jul 8, 2010
    It doesn't happen to me (apparently) but there are widespread reports that the screen goes wonky when it's charging via AC.

SrtLovR likes this.
  15. Sycobob

Sycobob Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    Physicist
    Tallahassee, FL
    I remembered this was on my enV2 wall charger. I'll try to test with the Samsung charger tomorrow.

16. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Okie I am another person who would confirm that this is definitely an issue. When connected through the samsung supplied stock charger, the screen becomes totally un-usable. You tap on one thing, and some other app below its icon opens up. I cant type up a message while phone is plugged into the ac outlet. Its almost as if my 8 year old WinXP computer would be trying to run photoshop. The problem totally disappears when using the supplied USB cord with PC usb outlet, so I think its not the cord, its either the supplied wall charger, or the amperage. Something is definitely wonky here. I would post back my build dates for the device, maybe its only certain devices from before a certain build date?? Who knows!!

Also, I dont own any other chargers, so can someone try this with another 1Amp charger, possibly using same and then differnet usb cord, and also if possible using 1amp car charger and post back their findings!!

17. Sonia Marie

Sonia Marie Lurker
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I can't use mine while it's charging either. All I have is the charger that came with it and everytime I try to use it while it's charging it acts really squirrely....there is no use in trying to scroll because it jumps around whereever it wants and that the best case scenario....most of the time (while it's charging) I can't even get the "wake-up" screen to flick off to use any part of the phone.

I've had several other issues with this phone since purchasing it on launch day (9.16.11). I'm returning it to Sprint today for a new one. If I continue to have problems with it I'll most likely get the Nexus Prime.

18. HotInEER

HotInEER Member
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    I'm having the same issue on certain chargers. But, this needs to be fixed.

19. waxking1

waxking1 Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Same issue here using charger that came with phone.

20. Brz1

Brz1 Lurker
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    I just got this phone today, and also noticed this is a problem that only occurs with the wall charger.

EDIT: I tried my roommate's wall charger, and I don't have a problem with the phone any longer while it's charging. My guess is that Samsung shipped us all overly cheap chargers with the phones. Annoying. I read on another forum that this has something to do with "AC ripple" and its effects on electronics.

moidawn likes this.
  21. timmyhawk1983

timmyhawk1983 Newbie
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Hagerstown, Md
    same thing usually happened with the EPIC 4g ... if ur screen is on .. and u put it on the charger ... it freezes up like its gettin too much power at once .. i just turned the screen off .. then turned it back on .. usually solves the problem of not being able to move something or click on something.