• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone using 3G instead of wifi?

punky

Apr 5, 2010
London, UK
I just noticed my quota on 3G Watdog shoot up to something unfeasibly high all of a sudden. I thought it was an error so checked my Orange account. It was correct. Then looked and noticed my wifi and 3G icons were on together. My wifi had a signal but the arrows were lighted on the 3G. I toggled my wifi and nothing changed.

I rebooted and just the wifi icon appeared. Used some data and 3G watchdog quota held steady.

Anyone else had this?

I had one experience of this. When connected to wifi and doing something else in the settings I pressed 'mobile on' by mistake. The field said connecting and I pressed it again to disconnect, but it didn't. There was a short delay and then the 3G signal came in, it took another few seconds to then go back and turn it off again. But it took a full 10mins to turn off... just a glitch I think, but I now have GPS/WIFI/MOBILE/BLUETOOTH on/offs as icons on homescreen and work them as I wish.

Not a solution as such, but it never happened again (so far!)

Reactions: punky
Upvote 0
I've been on the phone to Three support and if there is a mobile data connection it will use that in preference to Wifi. This is a default "feature" of the handset
This is a ridiculous situation so whenever you get near one of your wifi networks remember to manually switch the connection :mad:
I never thought I'd say that an iPhone would be better...

Upvote 0
The phone should see the wifi. Sleep policy may affect this, as polling for networks isnt constant.

Try an app called wifi analyzer. Your network channel could be the same as someone elses near by and the phone is struggling to see it clearly. The app will tell you the best channel to use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones