1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phone warranty... Sprint TEP / Square trade

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by myechophone, Aug 9, 2011.

1. myechophone

myechophone Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    It has been just 8 days for my phone so far. All is good, I am probably inclining to keep it...

I am wondering if it is worthwhile to purchase any insurance coverage for the phone.

Sprint offers TEP program wherein I need to pay $8 per month. If something happens, I will need to shell out a $100 deductible over the phone replacement.

I was checking squaretrade.com. They are offering a warranty for $124 which states the following:
    Coverage Details

2 years of coverage: The SquareTrade Smartphone warranty covers your Smartphone for up to 2 years, starting on the date of purchase.

Covered Issues: Both accidents (e.g., broken screen or other damage through drops AND liquid damage including full immersion) and out-of-warranty normal use failures (e.g., battery no longer charging or other hardware failures) are covered. We do not cover loss, theft, willful damage or damage occurring through gross misuse.

Deductible: There is a $50 deductible when claiming on an accident (e.g., drops, spills). There is no deductible for a normal use failure (e.g., power issue).
    --------------

Does any one have any experience using either of the warranties? Is it really worth spending money?

Please share your thoughts.

Advertisement

2. myechophone

myechophone Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    May be this is not the correct forum to ask this. Mods, can you please move this to the correct forum if needed?

3. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Squaretrade is a much better deal. Insurance deductible on my carrier is $130 plus the exorbinant monthly fee. Squaretrade is very highly rated What they will do is either fix your phone, or if completely destroyed, pay you for the amt your warranty was purchased for.

Example: your screen is broken, they get it fixed for $100. your warranty was for $500, you will have $400 left on your warranty. Your phone is destroyed, they pay you the $400 balance.

The difference is if you lose it or get it stolen, squaretrade cannot replace it or pay you, while insurance will.

If you're a homeowner or have renter's insurance, look into getting your phone covered, it's the cheapest of all the options. I have both my phone and tablet covered for about $20 per year to replace them.