1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

phone will not sync exchange inbox

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Terabethia, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Terabethia

Terabethia Android Expert

Good morning!

I tried to search and see if anyone else had this problem but I can't find anything quite like this.

I am working on a phone for a friend. Phone is currently running 4.0.4. Using the native email app on the phone, there are 3 accounts set up. Two are working great (verizon personal email and a gmail account) but the work exchange account is acting funny.

For some reason about a week ago the app no longer sync's the inbox. It will sync the other folders (sent, trash, spam, etc) but not the inbox.

Deleted the account and reset it up. That didn't work. I then went into the app settings and "Cleared data" and set it up again, that didn't work either.

I sent a test email to the account and it DID come through, so it's working server side. And we replied back and that worked. But on the phone, I only see it in the sent items, never in the inbox.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

Well are you rooted and maybe the permission on the app may need to be set to the proper settings on the permission side this can be done with a root explorer (etc) :screwy::thumbup:

3. Terabethia

Sadly the phone is not rooted. And I am not going to mess with it to do so.

It's odd because it IS syncing the account, just not the inbox. All other folders plus contacts and tasks and stuff sync.

Just not the inbox...

This one has be confused! LOL

4. BRAINZ2013

How about go to settings and accounts sync and see if it appears if so and its not checked . Check the box and do a sync to update the device . And may i ask is this a corprate account u trying to sync .

5. Terabethia

Yes, I have tried that. It is set to sync.

Yes, it is a corporate account.

So here's a new thing I just discovered. When setting up as Exchange (how it was when it was working a week ago) the inbox won't sync.

BUT... if I set it up as an IMAP, the Inbox and all folders DO sync. But then it refuses to sync the contacts/calendar/tasks.

So exchange = No inbox.
    IMAP = All "mail related folders" but no contacts/calendar/tasks.

Weirdest thing ever...

6. BRAINZ2013

Are you near the server . Or may i say are u in the place of the corprate and can hook the wifi to theirs if so it may have timed out and need to be updated when u update power off device and power back up . What kind of device are you working

7. NCPaul

NCPaul Lurker

Did you solve this problem? I have the same issue - everything works as desired EXCEPT email in the Inbox.

8. dcox

dcox Lurker

This is driving me nuts. Can't sync inbox for corporate account, but all other folders, calendar, and contacts sync perfectly. Droid Razr - not rooted.

Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

9. alexco

alexco Lurker

Having the same issue. All forum threads here and elsewhere are a dead end. Seems like many people encountered this issue lately but I couldn't find any solution.

Thanks in advance.

10. kenjsmith

kenjsmith Lurker

Just had the same problem moments ago on a phone that worked for years.

Exchange Calendar, and Contacts synced OK,
    but email inbox stated no messages.

Turns out, it was outlook that was the problem.
    We just updated a clients PC with a fresh image and new outlook.
    Outlook was preset to send mail to a personal folder, not Mail box..

So when a message was received by the server and the clients outlook was open, it would move the message from the server and locate it to local pc.

Therefore, there is no mail in the 'server' inbox...
    (where the phone connects).

So check your outlook mail settings to ensure 'Deliver New Email To Following Locations' is mailbox so the messages remain on the server.

We moved all personal folder inbox back to mailbox, and it all reappeared on the phone.

Hope this helps.. anyone.

Just had to chime in because this was my solution, and did not see anything posted anywhere about this type of solution scenario.

11. I have just had the same problem. The issue started after running an eseutil /p at the database.
    Found on the web this very useful article that solved my issue:

https://exchangemaster.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/activesync-synching-folders-but-not-mail/

In the end basically I had to create a new database and moved the mailbox there. After that, the email account was reconfigured in the phone and the issue was solved.
    Then I moved the mailbox back to the original database, and the phone was working fine, without any configuration changes.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews