1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

phone will only charge at 500mA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by feenair, Jul 6, 2013.

1. feenair

feenair Lurker

2 days ago I lost my phone adapter to my Samsung galaxy nexus, the one provided with the Samsung galaxy nexus when you buy it, since then I have been trying to find a wall adapter that will charge my phone at 1amp (highest attainable), all the ones that I have used are charging at 500mA (I know this because when it is connected the phone is recognizing it as a usb connection, rather than ac). I have tried three different adapters now which all claim to allow up to 2.1 amps, does anyone know why my phone may not be recognizing it as outlet connection?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Maybe.

Chargers that short the data lines will kick the phone in to high speed charging.

Chargers aimed at iDevices typically won't do that.

In addition to regular usb cables they also make charging-only cables. Can't remember if those short the data lines or lack them.

3. feenair

feenair Lurker

I don't think that is the issue, as I am using the original usb cable that was able to provide 1amp with the provided adapter

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Your original cable - it's able to transfer data from a pc?

5. feenair

feenair Lurker

yes it is, so you're right that it is not a charge only cable, you think that this particular usb is just not compatible with the adapters I've tried?

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Not sure, but if you can get a charging cable easily, it's worth a shot.

7. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert

Don't use a idevice charger.

I would recommend against getting a specific charging cable. It just causes confusion and really doesn't provide much benefit. It's best to get a wall charger that is properly designed.

"most" wall chargers that aren't 3 dollar models from asia will charge at one amp.

The easiest thing is just look on amazon and read the reviews.

Like Early said the USB spec calls for the middle 2 pins to be shorted (actually the spec looks for a resistance below a certain value).

I've actually modified car chargers, I wouldn't recommend it with a wall charger the though the transformer in the charger might not handle the extra load.

EarlyMon likes this.
  8. feenair

feenair Lurker

That's what I find to be so confusing about this, right now I am using an RCA brand usb wall plate charger that I bought from best buy (certainly should be of good quality, and even advertises that it is android compatible). It has two usb outlets which have a combined output of 2.1 amps or 1amp per outlet, however I can only get 500mA from either port.

EarlyMon likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

feenair and Unforgiven like this.
  10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

feenair likes this.
  11. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Your cable could have been damaged or your USB port on your phone could have been damaged. All it takes is a bent pin to throw off the alignment and the phone will default to USB no matter how many amps the adapter is putting out.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews