• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone wipes data after each boot into recovery?

I rooted my phone in order to just get rid of bloatware initially. That was fine.

Then, silly me, I upgraded to 2.2.2 and all my hard work was gone. Following the incredibly helpful tutorials on this site using lgnpst I was able to downgrade to 2.2.1 and root again.

This time though, I'm interested in creating a recovery and booting custom ROMs. So... following more tutorials here, I got everything all set up and ready to go but when I finally tried to boot into recovery and do my thing, the only thing that happens is this (maybe not in this exact order, I forget):

Logo, nother logo, screen that I saw during the downgrade of my phone (3D Android guy and a progress bar), phone restarts, logos... animation... and back to my home screen.

Every time this happens, my phone is completely wiped. My contacts and apps are gone, but I still have Superuser and root access. Also, system apps that I deleted with Titanium Backup are still gone.

I've tried booting into recovery multiple ways by doing what tutorials tell me, and even trying to just do it from an app like AnReboot... but every single time, my phone gets wiped.

Booting normally does not wipe my phone.

Does anybody know what's up? I would love to install a ROM, but this is getting annoying.

At least I have service. :\

you havent installed a recovery. your are pressing the keys to boot into recovery, but the stock reocvery just does a factory reset on your phone. you need to install a custom recovery image i recommend the GNM recovery, if you are rooted still then search this forum for the flashimageUI.apk and install it, then search for the All In One Recovery thread and download the GNM recovery for the optm and use flashimageUI to install the recovery. then powert he phone off and hold vol down+home+power till recovery menu pops up you also may need to find the flash_image file and push it to your phone through adb there are instructions in many places including the above mentioned all in one recovery thread

Reactions: partylobster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones