1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Phone won't boot...white screen hang

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edbtzy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. edbtzy

edbtzy Newbie
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Im sorry if this has been posted but i can't find a solution to my problem. I rooted my phone yesterday without any problems. Today i tried flashing a mod to the Myn's ROM. After i reboote, my phone hangs on the white evo boot screen. I tried clearing the cache and i also tried doing a factory reset (through recovery mode) but i still cant boot my phone up...it jus keeps hanging on the evo screen. I also tried restoring a previous backup and im having the same issue....

PLEASE can anybody help me boot my phone up! All help is greatly appreciated...i dnt know what to do if i can't even get my phone to boot!

Advertisement

2. Knewz

Knewz Android Expert
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Tech
    Georgia
    how long does it hang? i flashed a dozen roms and mods and i've been hung up on that screen for as long as 7 minutes. If you made a nandroid go back and restore that. Or boot back into recovery and reflash rom

3. edbtzy

edbtzy Newbie
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    It's been hanging for about 15+ minutes. I've made multiple nandroid backups but none seem to work. The only one i found to work was the backup i made when i got root access ... I accidentally deleted the .zip file of the MYN rom on my SDCARD AFTER the intial flash... could that be an issue? Other then that, I am currently re-downloading the MYN rom and going to try to reflash that.

What else could have been the problem of a long hang on the boot screen? Custom Kernel?

EDIT: If i restore a backup, does that restore the Kernel as-well? Or does it go back to a stock kernel?

4. Knewz

Knewz Android Expert
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Tech
    Georgia
    reasons for hangs, from my experience, vary. I've had incomplete rom downloads, corrupt files, flashing incompatible .zip files and kernels.

the nandroid backup will restore the phone to its exact state when you made the backup. So if you were using the stock kernel when you made the backup, it will restore the stock kernel

edbtzy likes this.
  5. edbtzy

edbtzy Newbie
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    thank you . I just don't get why it won't let me restore my backups without hanging on that screen...

do i need to keep the .zip files on SD card at all times or can i remove them after i flash?

6. Knewz

Knewz Android Expert
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Tech
    Georgia
    You can remove. Once flashed, its on the phone for good. What i would recommend is flash the rom first and after a successful rom flash make a nandriod. Then flash mods, kernels, other zips. So if you do experience complications you can always start fresh without having to flash the entire rom again cause those typically take the longest time

7. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Have you switched recoveries since you made those backups? Also did you rename any of them, renaming a backup can cause it not to restore if you rename it with spaces in it. Also you may have gotten a bad download of Myns I would try redownloading it then try to reflash it. Also make sure that when you flash it you wipe data, cache, and dalvik. If you don't wipe all of these it can mess up a flash and put you in a bootloop like you are in now.

8. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    I would also recommend using Culkulin's format all zip, no trouble flashing any rom after using it

9. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Are you still stuck?

1) What is your recovery version?
    2) What version of myn's are you running?
    3) What mod was it that you tried to flash?
    4) What were the nandroid backups you were trying to restore (i.e. same ROM?)?
    5) Did you try wiping cache/dalvik after restoring any of the nandroid backups, or only before?

If the mod you flashed was either bad or incompatible, wiping cache and even data is pointless. Mods affect /system (generally), while wiping data affects user data only.

10. MDS_evo

MDS_evo Lurker
    None

May 5, 2011
    I'm having the same issue as edbtzy. Every time I flash a new ROM my evo hangs on the white "htc evo 4g" splash screen. Here is what I've done:

followed the steps on this forum under "rooting for dummies"
    got root / still have root using unrEVOked / unrEVOked forever.
    installed ROM Manager (paid version)
    flashed CyanogenMod v7.0.2 (it worked the first time)
    notice GPS did not work, so I followed the instructions to fix it:
    - flash a Sence UI (i choose Fresh Evo v3.x - it flashed)
    - ran a 'clear the gps' command

**then I tried to re-flash CN7, where the EVO hung on the CN7 circular splash screen.

after 10 minutes I restored from backup

** then I tried to flash Kings Sense GB v2.3 but the phone hung on the white flash screen.

after more 10 minutes I restored from backup

** I made two other attempts to flash: CN7 and Fresh Evo both had the same results.

Updates 11:15
    Since restoring seems to work I keep trying.
    This time I did a factory reset and tried CN7
    it seemed to loop on the "Andriod skates in then back, the arrow circles around, stops (around the 4:00 position", then restarts.

Any help / direction would be appreciated.

MDS_evo

11. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    If it takes longer than 5-10 minutes on first boot, I would do a battery pull and try and reboot it. I have issues sometimes with first boots on Sense roms for some reason. AOSP seems to go good. I would try that first though.

Also, I would not use Rom Manager. It is buggy and might be part of the issue. Go to recovery and wipe everything manually then try and flash one of the roms and see if it takes. I bet RM is your problem.

MDS_evo likes this.
  12. MDS_evo

MDS_evo Lurker
    None

May 5, 2011
    Thanks I tried, but it didn't help. CM7 sits at the circling arrow screen. Fresh EVO sits at the white "htc evo 4g" screen.

Same results.

What confuses me is that I did flash CM7 and Fresh EVO once. Could have one of them installed something, or could have the fix GPS process done something?

Here is the reference to the CM7 fix CPS process:
    [ROM][BBQ] CyanogenMod-7 for EVO :: V7.0.2.1 (04/25/2011) - xda-developers - "GPS fix: Flash into a sense rom, download MSL reader from the market, input ##GPSCLRX# into the dialer, reboot, reflash into CM7"

Thanks
    MDS_evo

13. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    What recovery and version are you using?

Edit: Rom manager means Clockwork but what version do you have? 3.0.0.5?

MDS_evo likes this.
  14. MDS_evo

MDS_evo Lurker
    None

May 5, 2011

ClockworkMod 3.0.0.5

Update: 6:00pm
    Problem Solved ... a better description I guess would be "I found another way"

I loaded RA Recovery and it worked.

15. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    That was going to be my suggestion. Clockwork 3.0.0.5 only works with edify script while clockwork 2.6.0.1 and Amon RA 2.3 work with both edify and amend scripts. Amend is still used by most devs for roms so clockwork 3.0.0.5 will not flash anything that is written in amend.

MDS_evo likes this.
  16. MDS_evo

MDS_evo Lurker
    None

May 5, 2011
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Tags: