• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone wont do anything after clicking start in Odin

Glad you got it sorted. You should now have 2 new apps called CWM and super user. Go into cwm and you will be prompted for root access, press allow. That will just confirm you are rooted.
Things you can do now rooted are:
Remove system apps eg readers hub etc
Over/underclock your cpu
Install other roms and much more

Upvote 0
Hey mate, i just downloaded titanium back and its backing up all my data. So umm once i install a new ROM(plan to use villainROM due to a large no of positive reviews) it still possible to use the unrooting method posted in the sticky yes?.
Also villain rom only works on KF2 ,do i just flash the kernal onto that? or i do need to change the firmware or something as well?

2) l know this might sound stupid but what exactly is a rom/what does it do?

3)Finally,how do i kill those apps?

You help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Yes you will be able to unroot and return to standard samsung firmware.
Villain rom is based on KF2 firmware so it doesn't matter what version of firmware you are coming from just follow the guide and it will be updated for you.
A rom is like an operating system for your phone like windows for your pc if you know what I mean.
Kill what apps? Readers hub and other system apps?

Upvote 0
No you can now flash villain rom :) when I say based on KF2 what I mean is they have used KF2 firmware and added/taken bits so everything you need is in the rom. There is an optional flash after you have flashed villain rom to update the modem but this is optional. I ran villain rom fine without the updated modem. I recently flashed the modem and have not noticed any difference so its up to you but it is recommended.

Upvote 0
I recommend downloading vrtweaks when you have villain rom. It contains lots of tweaks for apps and the rom itself including addin the google talk app with video chat.
(updated) VillainTweaks v1.3.1 (29/May))

To get rid of system apps I used titanium backup, I think you need the paid version to freeze apps. I just uninstalled them instead. Go into titanium backup, press the backup/restore tab at the top middle, find the app you dont want, press it then uninstall or freeze whichever you want to do.

Reactions: yash78
Upvote 0
Aha! :p cheers bro! So now this Modem I looked up the XDA thread regarding villain rom .

Step 3 - Updating CF-ROOT Kernel

Now you are on VillainRom you will need to update the kernel to match the rom. At the time of writing this is the KF2 kernel (but check in IRC or on the rom post if your not sure). This time you will want to keep this as a .zip file.

First of all, install VRTweaks from http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/sh...v1.3.1-(29-May), and install it. You should now install the Symlink fix, and reboot the phone.

Place the CF-ROOT .zip file onto your phone and then open the "CWM" app, once open go to "flash kernel" and point it to that .zip file.

The phone will reboot.

STEP 4 (OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED) - UPDATE MODEM

Download the reccomended modem from the rom thread this will be a tar.md5 file DO NOT RENAME IT (it may be in a .zip, if so extract it)

Put your phone into download mode and open Odin.

Click "PHONE" and guide it to the tar.md5 file

Press Start

Phone will reboot and your done

DOnt quite get step 3? Am i meant to dot it?..ie update the kernel to match the ROM ( i was already on Kf2 kernel)
Step 4 where can i get this recomended modem? :eek:

Upvote 0
I have the same issue as the OP at the moment. The box hasn't turned yellow. I haven't done anything with the phone since pressing start. Am I safe to remove the USB cable and try a different one. Also what do I do if I can't get the box to turn yellow?

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Mitch121 :)

What are you trying to do in Odin... flash firmware or root your phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones