• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone won't go beyond start-up screens

simonweeks

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Hello,

Can anybody help?

My daughter's phone is a Samsung Galaxy Ace. On start up, it won't go beyond the Samsung Galaxy screens (the word "Samsung" in sharp then fuzzy focus screen and the starry galaxy screen - it alternates between the two).

I thought it might need a software upgrade or reinstall, so I dowloaded Samsung Kies to my pc to use that. Kies is not recognising the simcard in the phone, though the card works fine in a different phone.

I'm now stuck! Can anybody help?

Many thanks,

Simon

Thank you Ryuinferno.

I believe she was playing a game that is known to freeze screens, but usually clears on rebooting.

I understand that I can factory reset via the privacy settings from idle, but I can't get to the idle screen at the moment.

Can you tell me how to get to recovery mode, as I can't find this in the manual?

Many thanks,

Simon

Upvote 0
Thank you Ryuinferno.

I've done as directed, but this is not bringing up safe mode (just the same start up screens).

Worse, I've noticed that when you power off, the phone seems to keep turning itself back on.

I tried taking the battery out, leaving it for ten seconds, replacing the battery, then trying to get into safe mode. Still no good.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Simon

Upvote 0
Hmmm...at least your phone still boots up...but not completely...try the Home+power button trick again...you may have to hold it for quite sometime...or else you need to send it to a service centre...except if you are willing to learn how to flash a firmware, which may be hard for a newbie...

Upvote 0
you have to hold the home button until you see the yellow recovery menu at startup.
Flashing a fresh firmware is not that difficult, depends how good you are with technology, very good tutorials and guides are available, you just have to get the firmware, the flash program(Odin) and an ops file, put it all in Odin, connect phone and click start. But if you need to get a new firmware its preferred that you take it to the service center if you still have warranty, otherwise you can do it yourself also.

Upvote 0
Ryuinferno and Ayush29k.

Flashing new firmware sounds like the sort of skill I'd like to acquire, but maybe another time.

As this is my daughter's phone, still under guarantee, I'd better send it off to the service centre this time.

Thank you for making my first dip into PHANDROID a positive one.

Best wishes,

Simon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones