1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Phone wont go past white HTC EVO screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dvonte93, Jul 4, 2011.

1. dvonte93

dvonte93 Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Yesturday i was trying to do the update that HTC came out with and i dont know what happened but it booted into the bootloader and while it was in the bootloader it asked if i watned to update so i said yes and at the end of the update it said update failed... so now that i try to restart my phone it will not go past the white htc sccreen what should i do?

Advertisement

2. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Male
    East Tawas, MI
    First off, Welcome to AF! Secondly, I'm assuming your phone is rooted...correct? If so then accepting the OTA isn't recommended and your custom recovery will not allow it. Not only will you potentially lose root, but you'll have to wait for another root exploit before you can obtain root once again.

If your phone *is* in fact rooted, can you get back to recovery??

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    ok so i want to second the welcome that frenchy did and welcome you to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and i agree with frenchy that accepting any ota while rooted is bad. it does not matter what phone you are on. never accept an ota while being rooted.

on that note what hboot do you have? (power off then press and hold vol down) can you get into recovery? if you have hboot 2.1 or less and you can get into recovery then you are ok we can get your phone up and running.

4. dvonte93

dvonte93 Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    well i hadnt read up on being rooted soo i didnt know so thanks guys and give me a sec so i can find the info

5. dvonte93

dvonte93 Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    and to answer the question about me being rooted yes i am... heres my phone info

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT-2.10.0001
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
    RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
    Oct 15 2010, 12:07:00

6. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Male
    East Tawas, MI
    Go to recovery (power off than back on while holding volume down) and wipe cache/dalvik cache then reboot, and see if that helps.

7. dvonte93

dvonte93 Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    nope wiping those two didnt help :(
    Im still stuck at the white screen

8. dvonte93

dvonte93 Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    i even just tried a factory reset and still nothing :(

9. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Do you have a nandroid backup that you can restore? If not, you will likely have to download and flash a rom to get your phone to boot. Accepting the update may have erased the rom you had in the phone when it attempted to install the update. Here: [ROM][STOCK] 4.24.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers are the stock rooted versions of the current OTA release. Odex is the one closest to stock if you want to remain that way.

dvonte93 and ocnbrze like this.
  10. dvonte93

dvonte93 Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Flashing a new rom work thanks for the help guys

11. uncletv

uncletv Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Hello I'm new to Android Forum. Here is my config and problem.
    Supersonic evt2-2 ship s-off
    hboot-2.10.0001
    touch panel-atmel224_16ab
    radio-2.15.00.11.19
    oct 15 2010 12:07:00

I had rooted my phone with unevoke and had put the Mik 2.1 w/ netflix unlocked) rom on it. Things went very smoothly. about 1-2 weeks later my phone started rebooting frequently. Then it stopped booting into the phone and stopped at the HTC spash screen. Honestly I've tried using mik again or cm7 and have gotten to the phone set up screen added ,u info google account, email accounts etc ,but it doesn't take long for it to reboot and i'm back where I started. Guess I"m wondering if there is something wrong with my hboot, ROM, mental status, or phone. ANy help would be appreciated. and type slow as I"m very new to this whole world of ROMs bootloaders, and rooting. I've looked at so many different threads in different places....I'm all turned around. IF we determine there is a problem with the phone...I'd llike some instructions on how to get it back to unrooted/stock image status. I've seen different posts and different ways pc16img.zip or img files out there. I found this for going back to unrooted status but I haven't tried that as I think it would be a last resort. [GUIDE] How to Unroot the EVO in 2 STEPS - xda-developers

12. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    lol it is you mental status.:D jk
    ok so i had the same issue with random reboots like that. usually my phone would get warmer then normal. also i noticed that the harder the phone has to work, the more often the reboots occur. so i tried it on several roms and same thing. i then tried it on a stock rooted rom and the same thing. my last step was to unroot it and the same thing happened. i then took it in to sprint and they gave me a refurbished phone. it has been fine so far. the only caution is if you do this they most likely will give you a phone with 2.3.3 installed so you can't root it. hopefully not, but i hear that they have started to install them on new phones. not sure on refurbished ones though.

uncletv likes this.
  13. uncletv

uncletv Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    So you think first off its the phone......not the image...or my feeble abilities....well probably both? I've had the same problem that it needs to cool down....or it won't look for an image or I can't even get into recovery. I was unfornately thinking the same thing....but i need to unroot or or just get the s-on instead of off. Would this be the best way to do it? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=780141

and thanks for the info

14. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    yep that would be the best way to do it. you can also read in the rooting guide. there is a section on how to unroot your phone. it references that link as well. just make sure to not accept the 2.3.3 ota or you can't re root your phone. you most likely will have to take it in anyways and they most likely will give you a phone that already has 2.3.3 installed. so either way you may have to wait until an exploit is found to root again.

Tags: