• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone won't reboot for ota update

dextersmom

Nov 17, 2010
hey all...long time lurker, first time poster.

I've searched around and can't find a solution to my problem here. A while back I rooted, then promptly unrooted when I decided that the pros of the rooting world didn't outweigh the cons...I figured all was fine since my phone was soff.

lately what the november ota update came out I haven't been able to update. I accept the prompt and it says the update will be installed after the required reboot...after the counter counts down the phone doesn't reboot. I tried to clear the storage, I did a factory reset, then I even did the how to downgrade to factory 2.2 (http://androidforums.com/incredible...to-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html)...when I was prompted to update again the end result was the same....

any ideas what the problem might be here? I'm double pissed cuz I now have to also restore all my aps and such and I still can't install the update. plz help lol.

thanks in advance.

yeah i saw the thread with the file, but would rather find out the "why" first and try and solve the problem and have the phone install the update the way its sposed to before doing it that way....the reason i decided to unroot is because I didn't want to have to deal with the upkeep required to stay up to date with ota releases.

Upvote 0
Are you still s-off? Seems some people been having a problem with the update when s-off.
IMO it's easier to keep up with the updates when rooted, you can have them applied even before officially released. This update was leaked over a month ago and many people have been running it since then. Rooted users will have the new version of android long before that's officially released for the incredible (if ever).

Upvote 0
I was really tired last night when I posted the original....I meant to say that my phone was s-on....according to hboot...but if that was the case shouldn't I have not been able to apply the factory 2.2 downgrade that I mentioned?

also when snooping the forum to look for the method of manually applying the november ota all i was able to find was a really convoluted method of doing it...it wasn't nearly as straight forward as applying the factory 2.2 downgrade.

if you can help me out it'd be much appreciated

Upvote 0
isn't there simply a way of wiping it all clean and going back to a complete out of the box install of my phone....even if its just 2.1 and will allow me to ota update to all the current 2.2 and nov update features....this is driving me crazy and i'm really regretting my decision to root cuz now its just more and more problems

Upvote 0
isn't there simply a way of wiping it all clean and going back to a complete out of the box install of my phone....even if its just 2.1 and will allow me to ota update to all the current 2.2 and nov update features....this is driving me crazy and i'm really regretting my decision to root cuz now its just more and more problems

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, this is part of the risk accepted when you root a phone.

My Incredible is rooted on stock 2.2. All I did was move some of the bloatware to a disabled folder. I followed the instructions floating around on here to restore the apks, install the OTA update and the re-root. It took me about 25 minutes to do the entire process. There's really not much to it.

If a simple manual OTA install is making you regret rooting your phone then I have to ask, what was the reason for you rooting it?

Upvote 0
thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and advice!

with the help of iowabowtech the issue has been solved......run his 2.2 downgrade to remove root and clockwork recovery mod....if this doesn't solve the issue for you then also:

1. make sure you delete the clockwork recovery mod folder from your sd card.
2. pull the sd card from your device.
3. power off the phone and restart in hboot (hold vol down and the power button)
4. do a factory reset (which you will have to reactivate your phone once that is complete)
5. the update should get pushed to your phone and this time it SHOULD reboot and install the update (it finally did for me)
6. replace the sd card after you go through the "welcome to your new phone" set up process.

thus far it is working fine and upgraded correctly to the current software version: 3.26.605.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones