1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone wont start or go into factory reset menu!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sbeaton, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

This morning I woke up to find my phone stuck on the start up screen -Samsung Galaxy SIII GT - 19300.
    I have had this previously in an older Samsung Galaxy and knew I could get it to factory reset and that would solve it. But I can't seem to get it on to the factory reset menu ie pressing volume Up+home+ power. Has anybody got any suggestions on what to do?

I am currently living out in Canada so I can't really pop in to my local Tmobile shop to ask them for help, although I could try Geek Squad?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Welcome to the forums Sbeaton. You could try starting it in safe mode then iinsted of deleting third party programs use the settings to Factory reset. I got this info from the t-mobile support website;

Turn on and use safe mode
    Safe mode allows you to turn on the device with third-party apps disabled. Then you can easily remove all apps that may be causing a conflict or software problem.

To turn on safe mode and use it to fix app problems, follow these steps:

Turn on safe mode
    Turn the device off.
    Press and hold the Power key.
    When 'Samsung Galaxy S III' appears on the screen, release the Power key. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
    Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
    'Safe mode' will display in the bottom left corner of the screen. Release the Volume down key when you see 'Safe Mode.'

Uninstall third party applications
    From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
    Tap Settings.
    Tap Application manager.
    If necessary, swipe right to the Downloaded screen.
    Tap the desired application.
    Tap Uninstall and then tap OK.

Turn off safe mode
    To turn off safe mode, follow these steps:

Press and hold the Power key.
    Tap Restart. Tap OK.

Master reset from settings menu
    A master reset restores the original factory settings and may delete your personal data on the internal storage, such as downloaded content, ringtones, images, apps, and contacts. It does not delete data stored on the SIM card or SD card.

To perform a master reset, follow these steps:

Back up all data on the internal memory.
    From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
    Tap Settings.
    Tap Back up and reset.
    If desired, tap Automatic restore to clear the check box.
    If desired, tap Back up my data to clear the check box.
    Tap Factory data reset.
    Tap Reset device.
    If you have screen lock turned on, enter your PIN or password. Tap Continue.
    Tap Delete all.

Sbeaton and Mikestony like this.
  3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

Welcome to the forum.

If you can't get into safe mode can you boot into download mode (volume down, power and home)

Sbeaton and Mikestony like this.
  4. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

Ok so this morning I can do even less with it. If I unplug it from the charger it wont turn on so im guessing the battery is dead . But when I do have it on charge it doesn't seem to actually charge. All that comes up is the empty battery symbol and the loading circle, which seems to be frozen.
    Any ideas now? Should I just leave it to see if it charges or should I take it to someone.

Also I could get into download mode before this morning.

Many thanks :)

5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

If u cant get into download mode then its pretty much a brick. Might be woth askin in a shop if you can try another battery or if you have a friend with one?

Sbeaton likes this.
  6. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

ok so i can now I can get it into download mode. I know you can do stuff via odin to get it working again but I have no idea how to do any of that, so if someone could give me an idiots guide that would be amazing :)

7. funkylogik

Look on sammobile.com i think they have a decent guide to flashing with odin. Then search on that site for the latest firmware for your phone and carrier. Let me know if you have any problems :thumbup:

8. Shotgun84

funkylogik likes this.
  9. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the firmware. Its a British phone and my carrier is T mobile. The model number is Gt-19300.

10. Shotgun84

Here's the T-Mobile firmware

Firmwares | SamMobile

Before you start flashing what does your phone say when your in download mode? Does it say you have a custom binary? If it does and you haven't rooted your phone that more than likely means you've suffered from the sudden death bug. In this case it'll have to be a professional fix.

Sbeaton and funkylogik like this.
  11. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

When i put it in to download mode under custom binary mode download it says no. Underneath that it says I still have the samsung official binary. Does this mean I will have to give it to someone to fix. And if so will the geek squad at best buy be able to do it?

12. Shotgun84

Nah that sounds like there's a good chance flashing stock will work. When you've suffered from the brick bug it will give a false result of having a custom binary.

funkylogik likes this.
  13. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

Ok so currently downloading the firmware, which is gonna take an hour. I wanna thank you guys so far for all the help so far. I might need you once again trying to actually flash the firmware on as I have never done this. :)

14. funkylogik

Hope it fixes your phone man. I love when that happens :)
    Good luck

While its downloading, does your pc definately recognise the phone? Like, do you have the driver installed?

15. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

Ok so hit a problem (of course I have)
    Downloaded the file from the link you sent me (the most recent firmware)
    Unzipped the file and then put the Tar.md5 fil in the PDA box on Odin. Then connected phone via download mode - connected fine.
    Hit start
    Fail
    Message - There is no PIT partition
    Any ideas?

funkylogik likes this.
  16. Shotgun84

That's looking like the brick bug so I think it's going to have to be a service centre job to have the motherboard changed.

17. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

Ok thanks for all your help :)

18. funkylogik

19. Shotgun84

Did the firmware download include a pit file? If it did try flashing the firmware again but this time also put the pit file in the pit box and tick repartition. I'm not too confident it'll work but it can't make things worse so worth a try. If the download didn't contain the pit file let me know and I'll try and find you one.

20. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

it didnt come with a pit file. It only came with the the md5 file.
    If you could find one that would be great :)

21. Shotgun84

22. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

ok so now after downloading the PIT i get the message Get PIT for mapping...
    Does this mean its the wrong PIT?

23. Shotgun84

It will say that if it's the correct pit. If it still fails after then it is the brick bug so there's not anything you can do to fix it yourself.

Sbeaton likes this.
  24. Sbeaton

Sbeaton Newbie

ok. Im going to try and contact my phone insurance and see if i can make a claim. I had my mum phone our local T Mobile store in the UK to see if I sent the phone to her if she could hand it in to get repaired (as i did with an older one) but they said it would have to be me that hands it in :(

Thanks for all your help guys, its really appreciated :)

25. Shotgun84

No problem. I hope everything gets sorted for you:)

Sbeaton likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews