1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cmerticlewis, Jan 15, 2013.

1. cmerticlewis

cmerticlewis Lurker

I'm trying to help my friend with his Evo 4G, and I've found a number of forums that talk about similar issues, but none that seem to address exactly what I'm seeing with this phone.

It'll load into the hboot menu just fine. But if I try to turn on the phone reguarly, one of two things will happen. Either it'll get stuck in a loop where the white HTC screen comes up, it turns off, then the same screen comes up again. Or it'll load for a minute, then turn off, at which point I can't turn it on again in any way, and if I plug it in the charging light won't even come on. Sometimes it'll only load as far as the white HTC screen, other times it'll get all the way to the Slide to Unlock screen, but will die before I can actually unlock it.

I tried putting in a new battery from someone else's phone (same model) to see if that helped, and I keep getting the same results.

Any idea what the cause or solution might be? any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. cmerticlewis

cmerticlewis Lurker

I'll add that I've also tried going into hboot and selecting either Recovery or Clear Data, and both will give the same result. Phone will turn off and won't turn back on/charge. If I do a battery pull, though, it charges just fine.

3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Welcome cmerticlewis!
    Can you post back what it says on the bootloader screen?
    We can try an ruu to install a stock rom/recovery.:)

4. cmerticlewis

cmerticlewis Lurker

Not sure exactly what info you're looking for, so here's all the info:

Supersonic EVT 2-2 Ship S-ON
    HBOOT-2.16.0001
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
    RADIO-2.15.00.0808
    Mar 8 2011, 17:02:15

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
    <VOL DOWN> to next item
    <POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
    RECOVERY
    CLEAR STORAGE
    SIMLOCK
    HBOOT USB

5. Mikestony

o.k..knowing that is good.
    Now, before we go and run an ruu, I was just wondering if perhaps you knew what led up to this issue.?
    Seeing as you can see the bootloader screen just fine and it wont shut off leads me to believe it is not a battery issue.

When you select the recovery option from the bootloader screen, does another screen come on that has a red triangle in the middle?

6. cmerticlewis

cmerticlewis Lurker

I believe the story with this phone is that he bought it off someone (not sure if it was a friend or a craigslist type deal). The guy showed it to him and it was working fine. All well and good. Then the previous owner ran some sort of factory reset to wipe his data (not sure exactly what), and when he got it home it wouldn't turn back on. That's pretty much all I can tell you about the life of this thing leading up to the problem at hand.

No red triangle screen. When I try running Recovery, it just immediately turns off, then won't turn back on/charge until I do a battery pull.

7. Mikestony

I see...well, I think the best thing to do is to run this ruu.
    Download this to your computer:
    Dev-Host - RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.exe - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Do you have the Evo drivers installed on your computer?
    If not, I am not sure this will work without them.
    I can link that for you too.

Then go into your bootloader screen, and highlight fastboot. Select that.
    Plug the phone in, and the word "fastboot" will turn into "fastboot usb"
    If it does, then run that ruu.
    It will guide you thru the install process.
    But just let me know if you need the drivers first because I dont think it will recognize the phone without them.

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. cmerticlewis

cmerticlewis Lurker

I don't have any Evo drivers installed, so if you have a link to those, that'd be great!

9. Prepaidguy9081

Prepaidguy9081 Android Enthusiast

Click recovery. If u get cwm or aman ra recovery then drop a rom on the devices sd card and flash it.

All factory resets should be done via recovery.

10. Mikestony

Here you are. It is the HTC Sync program.
    What I like to do is download it, install it, then uninstall it but leave the drivers.
    That's all you need it for, is the drivers.
    setup_3.0.5551.exe

11. Mikestony

He can't get into recovery, it just shuts off when he tries.

12. cmerticlewis

cmerticlewis Lurker

The computer I'm using right now is a Mac (should have mentioned), so I'll have to wait to try the RUU and the other .exe file until I'm in front of a PC. Unless you happen to have an alternate way to do this from a Mac?

Thanks!

13. Mikestony

ooo, no I don't sorry. :(

Edit: but I'll be online for a little while longer, then later tonite.
    Unless someone else trips over this thread and knows:)

14. cmerticlewis

cmerticlewis Lurker

Didn't think so, I'll try the method you suggest later when I'm in front of a different computer and let you know how that turns out.

Thanks again!

ocnbrze and Mikestony like this.
  15. Prepaidguy9081

Prepaidguy9081 Android Enthusiast

Install cwm via auto update

Rename this file to 'PC36IMG.zip'
    Place on root of sd card.
    Wste for it to install
    Reboot to hboot
    Enter cwm recovery.flash a rom

http://db.tt/PQrc7RIP

16. CapThrowback

CapThrowback Android Expert

If you have an external SD card in the device, and a card reader, you can download a PC36IMG.zip file, and place it onto the root (in no folders) of the SD card. Then replace it in the device, boot into the bootloader, and update that way.

Hopefully that'll normalize the device.

PC36IMG: Dev-Host - PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
    DO NOT UNZIP! Remove everything after "PC36IMG" in the filename (leave the extension, if you see it)

17. Mikestony

Just so not to confuse the op, that is similar to the ruu that I posted, but in PC36IMG form correct Cap't?
    Just a different way to flash an ruu.

18. CapThrowback

CapThrowback Android Expert

Kind of - the RUU is just a PC utility used to flash the ROM.zip, while the PC36IMG is simply the rom.zip itself, which can be flashed directly through the bootloader of the device.

19. bulrdrsal

bulrdrsal Lurker

I am having the same issue today. I was at lunch, phone battery died, after charging it, attempted to turn on. The phone is in a boot loop.

I have the phone on the bootloader screen at is say:

*** LOCKED (OOW) ***
    SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-2.18.0001
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224-16ab
    RADIO-2.15.00.12.19
    Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

I was going to do the fixes above but I noticed my screen was reading differently by saying LOCKED OOW at that top in Pink. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20. Mikestony

Welcome bulrdrsal!
    Sorry about your device:(
    What happens when you choose the "recovery" option from the bootloader screen?
    I can provide you with a slightly different PC36IMG file to install but you will lose all your data.
    Do you remember if your phone was up to date as far as software versions?
    If so, that may be a little trickier.

21. bulrdrsal

bulrdrsal Lurker

Recovery restarts, initializes with the standard green arrow circles, then turns into the red triangle with the exclamation mark.

The phone was up to date on all software, patches etc.

When the red triangle with red exclamation mark appears I held down vol down and vol up, and power.

I am informed that:

E: can't open /cache/recovery/command
    E: can't mount /data/data/recovery/log
    E: can't open /data/data/recovery/log

22. Mikestony

Sorry for the late reply:(
    If your phone is up to date, I would venture to say you are on software version 5.07.651.1 and there is no PC36IMG ruu for that version. I am just about certain of that, but don't give up quite yet....:)

Let me see what else I can come up with, or someone else may chime in with another option for bringing your phone back to life o.k.?
    Let's not give up hope quite yet!

23. bulrdrsal

bulrdrsal Lurker

Not giving up hope on anything.

I am not concerned about my data, I have a back up of the data on the SIM Card and all contacts are backed up to Google. I can factory reset and will only lose very little important information. It is more of a hassle than anything.

24. Mikestony

Have you tried the "clear storage" option in bootloader??? That is like a factory reset but I don't think it will help with your bootlooping issue.
    Just curious, how old is your battery?

25. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

wait sim card or do you mean sd card? if you have a sim card what phone do you have?

i would try what mikey has suggested in going into the bootloader and select clear storage.....this will do a factory reset.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews