• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone wont update. Please help

coulterjosh

Jan 13, 2014
Hi everyone over the past few days my phone keeps displaying an update but when i click install it goes to the screen with the updating android, the bar gets half way and stops, restarts, gets half way and the update fails. My buddy a few months ago rooted my phone but i felt like it was running slow/etc. so i unrooted using supersu and reset the phone. Every time i restart i get the unlocked lock on the start screen that says custom underneath; could this be causing the update to fail? If so how to i make it so my phone updates?

I'll bet they'll ask you this, if I may be so bold as to quote an expert:
Thank you for your post.

There are currently 29 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and over 2,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 5 different Android platforms, Android 4.2.2, Android 4.3, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.3 and Android 4.4.4. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1 Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S4 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info and it will give you, under Firmware Info... PDA, Baseband, CSC, versions.

#3. Also helpful would be your carrier, (service provider), location, (UK, India, Russia, USA, etc: ), and if your phone is rooted or not and running a custom ROM, (give details).

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly. :)

For more information, see, 29 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?

(Tip: You can go to the green bar at the top of this forum and click on, "User CP", which will take you to your User Control Panel and then select, "Edit your details", under the heading, "Your profile", on the left hand side. Here you can fill in your model and firmware under, "Current devices", in, "Additional Information". This ensures that your device details are shown under your user name on the left, in every post you make. You can update this as often as you like and will help other users immediately identify your current phone and firmware details.)

Reactions: coulterjosh
Upvote 0
He's not as fast after a few sherberts in the "black hole of no phone reception", also known as his local pub. Ignore me Ironass, I'm am only jealous for I am not in my local pub, but at home, kids in bed while my wife does a night shift, pub tomorrow though !

Seriously, follow ironass' guide he linked to the letter, read it once and then again. The video johnny_w has linked to is pretty good too. The "fast forward" bits in it are approximately two minutes and the second one about the same in real time. The first one is Odin checking the checksum of the firmware, and the second is the actual flashing process.

Upvote 0
i didn't even get past downloading the software it downloaded a bunch of different applications at the same time so i stopped everything. Then once i tried to unzip the samsung file using a winzip trial i downloaded it said that the file was incorrect. Can i have a list of what i need to download. The samsung software, Odin, and a unzipping program?

Upvote 0
Can i have a list of what i need to download. The samsung software, Odin, and a unzipping program?

Samsung Kies (for drivers)

Odin is linked in #1.5 of 29 Galaxy S4 models - know yours? as per my post #5 above. As are the flashing instructions and video as well as the stock Samsung firmware link.

7-Zip for unzipping

Instructions
Extract (unzip) the firmware file
Download Odin v3.09
Extract Odin zip-file
Open Odin v3.09
Reboot phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
Add the firmware file to AP / PDA
Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
Click the start button, sit back and wait a few minutes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones