• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone won't use mobile data after turning off wifi

Ken140

Lurker
Jul 11, 2018
Hello all,
Over the last month or so, I've noticed that when switching off wifi my phone will not resume using mobile data unless I restart the phone. I usually use wifi as much as possible, but when I turn it off the phone doesn't have any internet connectivity over mobile data until I restart it. I've tried resetting the network settings but it didn't help. Once I restart the phone mobile data works fine until I switch to wifi and then later try to switch back. I'm running Android 11 on a Galaxy A20. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ken

curious as to why you turn wifi off? i leave mine on all the time.
I figure it's better on battery life, but I could be wrong. The problem would continue to happen even if I left it on though. When I'm mobile I still need the mobile data to work and leaving wifi on or turning it off I still can't use the mobile data. The only thing that works is staying on mobile data all the time without using wifi, but I don't have unlimited mobile data so I use wifi as much as possible.

Upvote 0
I figure it's better on battery life, but I could be wrong. The problem would continue to happen even if I left it on though. When I'm mobile I still need the mobile data to work and leaving wifi on or turning it off I still can't use the mobile data. The only thing that works is staying on mobile data all the time without using wifi, but I don't have unlimited mobile data so I use wifi as much as possible.
wifi for the most part drains the battery very little. the only time it will have a drain on the system is if the wifi signal is very weak and the phone has to keep reconnecting or scanning for that wifi signal. if you have a pretty good connection, there is no need to keep turning wifi on and off. like i said every single one of my phones in the past and present, i never worry about wifi and battery life.

it could be a software glitch. you might want to think about flashing a firmware update. you can get them from here: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

just make sure to download the correct one for your device. firmware updates are very device specific and flashing the wrong one can soft brick your phone.

it should not wipe data, but it is a good idea to backup, if you decide to go this route.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt and Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones