• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PhoneMyPC = awesome

This is by far my favorite app for the Droid.

I wanted to be able to view my home security video while I'm away and now it just takes a couple taps to check on the house.

My wife points her webcam at the cat's favorite sleeping spot and now she has "kittycam".

I emailed a question about "how to" that was quickly answered by the devs.

Worth every penny :)

Upvote 0
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay; we try to keep up on forums more.

There were a couple of questions in this thread we'd like to answer.

1) Does PhoneMyPC encrypt data
No. It did, and it will again soon, but until it is out of Beta, it sends data in the clear. That said, your PhoneMyPC credentials are never sent over the wire, so your PC is very safe from intrusion, but someone with enough savvy, a good head for engineering and access to your LAN could see your session. In the end of Beta (coming soon!) SSL will be used; we will publish a white paper on our website with all security details.

2) App freezing
This has become so rare, nobody reports it anymore. If you have this--or any bad behavior--happen to you, please email us at Support@SoftwareForMe.com. We are eager to hunt down and fix any bugs!

3) Video
Someone mentioned using an RDP program to watch video, but getting no image.
RDP isn't a great choice for video usually, but in all cases (including PhoneMyPC), here's something to consider:

Remoting apps use one of an array of techniques to discover what is on your PC's screen(s) and send that data to your phone. In all cases (PhoneMyPC, RDP, VNC), the apps get their knowledge from Windows.

However, most video apps never give the video stream to Windows, but rather send it directly to the video card for decoding/display.

Have you ever tried to take a screen-shot (using the Print Screen button) of a movie player? Likely you got a black box where the video should be.

To resolve this issue when using a remote app, look for the settings on your movie player and disable all Hardware Acceleration for video. This way the image data will go through Windows, and the remoting app (and Print Screen) feature will have access to it. On today's PC's, you won't notice any real performance difference.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC
& Imagine Multi-touch

Upvote 0
I love this app, however I am currently having an issue with it. I turned it off on my main PC for a couple days, and after turning it back on, I now cannot see it in my list on my phone. I have reinstalled the application on the PC and it still does not appear. My credentials are correct, but it just won't show. My laptop works fine.

Upvote 0
I love this app, however I am currently having an issue with it. I turned it off on my main PC for a couple days, and after turning it back on, I now cannot see it in my list on my phone. I have reinstalled the application on the PC and it still does not appear. My credentials are correct, but it just won't show. My laptop works fine.

I know the developers keep an eye on this forum so I am sure you will have a solution soon. They have been extremely responsive to my questions and issues.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify and not be a total naysayer without reason, I just wanted to post why I think this app is one to avoid

1) Not open source standards compliant (No use of VNC or SSH)

2) Requires you to sign up for an account and connect through their website. There is no technical reason I should have to route through their website or need an account to use software to control my own PC.

3) Last I looked they had disabled the SSL encryption temporarily for some development reason (this maybe be fixed right now I'm not sure). But for a company to ever leave your data or passwords to control your home PC floating around out there as plain text is truly unacceptable.

Your mileage may very however.

Upvote 0
No change to what mode you are in. You can't even tell on the other end that a user has connected.

Awesome. I'm currently experiencing fedextrackingrefresh'itis, waiting for my Milestone's "On FedEx vehicle for delivery" status to change to "Delivered". I figured I'd look for some software in the meantime!

I do have more than 3 computers i'd like to connect to though (not simultaneously), it'd be good if that limitation was lifted later on.

Upvote 0
just a couple of questions for the dev or any one else who might know. I have recently installed and so far seems like a very cool app. there are a couple of things i would like to use this for. one is watching netflix the pic is slow not really watchable is there a setting to speed this up and also i cant wait for sound. also when i am in web pages i would like to use the scroll bar, i am unable to use the scroll bar. when i try i just moves the screen up and down not the page. also is there a way to drag files or items from the desktop and drop them on my sdcard like pics and docs?

Upvote 0
I think netflix will be out of the question. Biggest flaw of PhoneMyPc is that it does not do remote login. I know the website mentions it for next major release but this has been the case for about 2.5 months or longer without any change in when it might happen. Other than that yeah it works really well, but remote login is one painful thing to miss.

Upvote 0
just a couple of questions for the dev or any one else who might know. I have recently installed and so far seems like a very cool app. there are a couple of things i would like to use this for. one is watching netflix the pic is slow not really watchable is there a setting to speed this up and also i cant wait for sound. also when i am in web pages i would like to use the scroll bar, i am unable to use the scroll bar. when i try i just moves the screen up and down not the page. also is there a way to drag files or items from the desktop and drop them on my sdcard like pics and docs?

You might try lowering the quality for live or interact view to increase the speed. As for sound, that would really be the icing on the cake.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones