1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phones you've had on Metro

Discussion in 'Metro PCS' started by TransitGuy4500, Jul 26, 2015.

1. TransitGuy4500

None

Nov 24, 2012
    Male
    NYC
    I'm sure there's a few old threads about this, but I'm curious to see if anyone changes phones as frequent as I do :D

1. Samsung Freeform 3 - I had this for one year. I was only 14 and my mother didn't want me to have an android.

2. Samsung Admire - 1st Android. Solid phone. Also first phone I rooted. I got rid of it after the battery got bad, that if I didn't put it on airplane mode during school, the phone would die.

3. LG Optimus M - My friend had one of these and ditched it for an LG Connect, so I used it as a free replacement for the Admire. First phone I put not only 1 custom ROM on, but 3. :p

4. LG Motion - I got this after Metro lowered the price to $49. This little thing was a beast! It was my first 4g phone. I got bothered by the screen after 10 months tho.

5. LG L70 - My least favorite phone that I had. Practically NO storage, and it only had root at the time i had it. I cracked the screen my first semester of college, and vowed never to get another "low-range" android again...

6. Moto G (2014) - First BYOD. The screen was great, the camera was great. Had no problems with it other than occasional lag. This is the only Android that I had that I never rooted. I also cracked the screen in my college and only had it for 5 months. (The screen that Motorola put on these 2nd gen Moto G's are awful. There's a lot of complaints about them).

7. Samsung Galaxy Avant - 2nd least favorite android i've owned. I needed a decent (not cheap) replacement (or else I would've gotten another L70 for $29). This was around the time Metro/TMo stopped selling the ZMAX (or else I would've gotten one). It was good stock, but the metro/lagwhiz stuff were killing it. So I rooted, and I also discovered the goodness of xposed. I followed the dev community REALLY closely with this one. I used CM and AOKP. In the end, the battery was AWFUL, the screen was too small, and it was a power hog even w/o bloat.

8. Samsung Galaxy S4 - 2nd BYOD. One of my friends was getting rid of his S4 (He upgraded to the STYLO, b/c he wanted a bigger screen, but overall its a downgrade). I paid $100. I have already rooted, put xposed and now deciding on what ROM to put. This is the best phone I've ever had (on paper and in use). I don't know if I can ever go back to a phone with specs lower than this ever again LOL.

Advertisement

confed likes this.
  2. confed

confed Android Expert
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Male
    Philly
    I'll throw my hat in here and include my wife's phones since I had her switch to Metro and bought all her phones anyway.

1. Me - Samsung Code - Purchased in early 09 as my first phone with Metro. Ran Windows Mobile 6.1 and when you replaced the stock browser with Skyfire, it was great. Snappy little phone that was low price and had a blackberry-esque keyboard. Overall, I loved it.

2. Me - Samsung Galaxy Indulge. - My first Android. Purchased in early 2011 as the first 4G LTE smartphone in USA. The 4G LTE was tremendously slow but still faster than the 1x network. I think it topped out around 2.5 Mbps in Philly. The phone was nice overall and I loved the slide-out keyboard. I would have not held on to the phone for so long if k0nane (I think I am spelling that right) didn't do a lot of work for it. Made the horrendous battery last longer and made the hummingbird processor faster. His team later changed their name to OUDHS and introduced me to the almighty Shabbypenguin.

3. Wife - LG Optimus M - Her first Android phone. Instantly rooted the phone and threw on a basic rom. Did exactly what she wanted and she was overall pleased with the phone.

4. Wife - LG Connect - First upgrade went to her in 2012. Got this baby along with an extended battery and she loved it. Overall a good phone at the time. Everybody was in love with the Esteem at the time so I was happy to grab this dual core phone and it paid off. Also, I remember a ridiculously low price for this when I purchased it. She didn't need an upgrade but the phone was heavily discounted so it was worth it.

5. Me - S3 - Got this as soon as it released in Philly. I remember it releasing in some other cities a week or so earlier. Loved the phone and Shabby did a lot of work for all Metro users with this phone.Great experience with this one. Network speeds at this time were starting to get much better in Philly but still not near the major carriers.

6. Wife - S3 - She kept it stock but loved every minute of it.

7. Me - OnePlus One - July of last year. Had to buy a new phone for me, my wife and my mom. It was pretty damn easy and quick to get an invite even though there was a ton of negative press about the system. Haven't had any issues with the phone and the amount of development, the specs and the price were unbeatable. The new network was great and the speeds were nearly 3x faster than the CDMA LTE network.

8. Wife - OnePlus One - August of last year. She has kept her phone stock and although she was hesitant to get it because of it's size, she quickly adapted. She plans on keeping this phone for a long time.

9. Mom - Moto E - I have purchased her a bunch of feature phones throughout the years for use with Metro. Always around the $50 or lower price point. She didn't need it for anything but calls and a few texts. Had her on the cheapest plan. In September I had to get her a new phone because the CDMA shutdown was looming. This is her first smartphone and I was worried because she is in her 60s. She caught on quick and loves the phone. I'm hoping to get a couple more years out of it. Great phone for the price.

3. jjrx3

jjrx3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Los Angeles
    1. Freeform 3- First phone with MPCS. Decent phone but the network was horrible back then.
    2. LG Connect 4G- Loved everything about this phone but it never got ICS/completely working rom and the battery was horrible.
    3. LG Optimus F3- Really good phone and long lasting battery. I was using it one day and it froze and never recovered.
    4. ZTE ZMAX (Current)- Beast of a phone. Haven't rooted because I havent found a need to it (except maybe a lollipop rom)

4. swagless_noob

swagless_noob Newbie
    None

Nov 19, 2014
    1st phone- Samsung admire I was honestly super excited when I got since it was my first smartphone I had. This was also the first phone I ever rooted and played around with. Since I was a beginner and bored I accidentally erased my data and cleared the cache and I got scared bc I thought I had bricked it. Luckily thanks to this website I was able to put on a custom rom and work with it.
    2nd phone- lg motion which was probably one of the best phones I've bought from metro. I also rooted it and put a custom rom and backed up as I had more knowledge of what I was doing.
    3rd phone- Alcatel one touch fierce which is probably the WORST PHONE I have bought. Honestly what ruined it for me was the low storage and not being able to focus the camera. I also rooted the phone and that's about it.
    4th phone- Samsung Galaxy light this is also my current phone which ive also rooted. It's an ok phone and definitely a lot better than the one touch.

I have each phone for a year before "upgrading"

5. averagewonder

averagewonder Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    Student/C.N.A
    Palm Coast, Fla
    Crap way to many to remember them all but I also had the code I actually very much enjoyed that phone. Back when I likes windows phone os also had an HTC tilt 2 Which was also an older windows phone both back before the damn windows metro tile stuff. What was great about the tilt is you could dual boot android on it so that was Awesome. Got a S4 as a byod now liking it but would like to get the S5 not interested in the S6

6. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX
    LG Optimus M - Mine and my wife's 1st Android and smart phone. Also our 1st phones on Metro.

LG Optimus M+ - not a bad upgrade over the original.

LG Motion 4G - what can I say

Alcatel OneTouch Evolve - well, it has to tide me over since my Motion went swimming

Moto G - still rocking it. I love it even more than the Motion (even tho the Motion had LTE).

I'm probably gonna get me a 3rd gen Moto G in March after tax return to replace my current G.

7. Matthew83

Matthew83 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 13, 2012
    Male
    Southern California
    1st: Metropcs Samsung Freeform II - Great little phone which lasted me about two and a half years before the battery died and the screen got all corrupted with lines through it.

2nd: LG Motion - This was my first ever smartphone which I loved and used for about a year and a half or so. Was a great phone even though I can't stand the small screen now.

3rd and current: LG F60: - With the $45 unlimited plan Metro was having I couldn't pass up upgrading from the Motion. People say they don't like the small screen size but coming from the Motion the F60 seems down right huge to me! Lol! Honestly though I wouldn't want a screen much bigger, perhaps 5inch or so would be ideal for me. The F60 has some quirks like odd lag here and there, but it could be because I'm rooted and using Link2SD a lot. Great phone overall and I really don't plan to upgrade anytime too soon, unless there is some other crazy good mid-range phone at a good price!

8. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2013
    Male
    Janitor/cook I know strange two jobs to have
    Detroit Michigan
    1 m835 tank my 1st smartphone n
    2 samsung admire solid device that was much better than the Huawei
    3 wildfire s terrible phone brought me here because I needed to fix it's shortcomings.
    4 LG motion became my gold standard for device bang for buck pretty perfect for the time.
    5 Motorola Atrix HD great upgrade first HD phone the Maxx battery unlocked bootloader flash monster wish I still had it , and moto g 1st Gen 16gb

9. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2012
    Male
    Professional Smartass
    Las Vegas
    Not on Metro yet, joining towards the end of August(gotta use up my remaining time on ST first).

1 - Nexus 6

10. dportal2006

dportal2006 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    1. Samsung Code- My first Metro phone. It was technically a smartphone (Windows phone) but it only had a couple of applications and it was overall awful. Had not wifi and the only access to Metro PCS old EDGE network. Very slow and was basically for phone calls and texting.

2. LG Esteem- (December 2011) My first smartphone in Metro PCS. Loved it when i first got. It was liberating to see how many new things i could do while on the go. The battery life and lag was really, really bad though which is what led me to change it.

3. Samsung Galaxy S3- (November 2012) i purchased this phone out of sheer frustration with the battery life on the LG Esteem. I loved this phone for the 12 months that i had it. Loved it. However, when i changed it due to Metro started making the change to T-Mobile and the signal reception started to get really bad and inconsistent in my apartment.

4. LG G2 (T-Mobile) (November 2013) I purchased this phone from a T-Mobile store and used it on their network for a couple of months before bringing it back to Metro PCS. Very good phone. Fast, good battery and everything worked correctly. About 15 months a couple dozen of drops on the floor caused the screen to start malfunctioning.

5. ZTE Zmax (January 2015) My current phone at the moment. Got it a few days after it went on sale for $100. Very happy with the experience. The only thing that i don't like is the camera. It's not terrible but i got spoiled by the LG G2 camera. I am planning on using it for at least a year though.

11. Bard

Bard Android Expert
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Male
    Programmer
    Fort Worth, TX
    LG Esteem

LG Motion

LG Spirit

LG F6

LG F60

;)

12. confed

confed Android Expert
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Male
    Philly
    Hmm, there may be a pattern there.

alfick3 likes this.
  13. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX
    So far there's been a lot of Motions.

14. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2013
    Male
    Detroit Michigan
    It was a 50 dollar monster

15. confed

confed Android Expert
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Male
    Philly
    I really cant believe DirtyDee had a Wildfire. I didn't think they sold any of those damn things. Haha

DirtyDee likes this.
  16. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2013
    Male
    Detroit Michigan
    Not only did I have to suffer with it 2013 my sister had one too. If I never had that phone I never would have been here trying to put more apps on it. My first steps to the rooted world
    Might as well tell you all my smart phones I had.
    Evo 4G much flash on that guy
    Moto g much flash on that guy
    Droid ultra and mini
    Droid three and bioninc
    5 lg elites yes 5
    Moto x
    Motorola Atrix HD
    Sony Xperia tl
    Xperia z3
    Galaxy s4
    Galaxy s5
    Note 4
    LG g3
    Motion
    LG f6
    LG volt
    LG l70
    LG l9
    HTC one s
    Samsung galaxy blaze s
    Hydro icon hydro vibe hydro life yes all three
    Galaxy avant
    LG esteem
    Alcatel one touch something had like 2 different ones
    The wildfire
    The admire and 4G as well
    Samsung prevail 2 and 3
    HTC my touch 4G slide
    ZTE avid
    ZTE speed
    ZTE max
    Moto e
    IPhone 5 c
    I had tons of phones go thru them like water

#16 DirtyDee, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  17. TransitGuy4500

None

Nov 24, 2012
    Male
    NYC
    omg I thought I've ran through phones! I've had 4 in the past year lol (the l70, moto g 2014, avant and GS4)

bobnstpete likes this.
  18. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2013
    Male
    Detroit Michigan
    3 reasons for the high number of handsets I buy broken phones and make them not broken, I buy phones at work and sale them, I only listed phones I used over a month with service on.

bobnstpete likes this.
  19. Krlypumaa

Krlypumaa Android Expert
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Male
    Media Editor,
    Tampa, FL.
    Wow i have been with Metro since 1995 when it soonest you had signal u couldn't move cus you would. Lose it... My devices
    *Samsung E1150i, X660, the one that looked like a blackberry... Samsung admire, galaxy, galaxyS, S2,
    *Huawei Indeo
    *LG Brio, optimus, Nexus 4, f3, f6, G2, "Stylo newest"

I still have a NC encore with CM11

20. DealerMan

DealerMan Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Slacker (aka Bum) at the moment
    The Weird Capital of Texas
    LOL
    I called at&t from the MPCS store to cancel my account. A short time later I walked out with 2 Samsung Admires (they might have been on the market a couple of months). A black one for my wife, a red for me. We both now have an F6.

bobnstpete likes this.
  21. JesseBanks

JesseBanks Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 26, 2012
    Male
    Android Fanatic
    Brick City
    Hauwei Ascend
    Samsung Admire
    LG Motion
    LG F6
    Alcatel One Touch Evolve
    Samsung Galaxy Avant

The Hauwei Ascend was my 1st Android phone and 1st phone for MetroPCS...it was an OK phone unlocked boatloader with cyanogen... The Admire was alright but locked boatloader...LG motion was a great phone with cyanogen...did everything on it... The worst phone by far was the F6...I paid 230 for a low memory phone...a pain to manage storage...lost it and had to get an Alcatel One Touch Evolve which isn't a bad phone for just 60$ and the Samsung Avant which I have now and I love so far

22. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

My Metro pcs phones...
    • Samsung Freeform
    • Huawei Ascend M860 (still have it)
    • LG Esteem (might still have it)
    • LG Spirit (still have it)
    • Samsung Galaxy S3 (still have it)
    • LG Optimus F6 (still have it)
    • ZTE Zmax (still have it)
    • LG G Stylo (currently using)

Notable mentions on other carriers...
    • HTC HD2
    • Galaxy S and S2(hercules model)

Krlypumaa likes this.
  23. bobnstpete

bobnstpete Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2015
    Male
    I have had the LG l9, Lumia 521, Alcatel OneTouch Fierce 2 and now a ZTE ZMAX.

24. OneShotGoGetter

OneShotGoGetter Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 7, 2014
    Male
    Does anybody have a LG Optimus F6 they would like to donate for development, We could probably get cm12.1 and other custom roms on the F6 we just need the phone. Donation would be much appreciated. Cosmetics are a low priority just needs to be functional.

25. Kid09

Kid09 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 26, 2012
    Mines were
    1. Kyocera S1300 - first phone on metro.
    2. ZTE C79 - Loved that phone. Made a great MP3 player
    3. LG Imprint - Took a week to get used to the keyboard, was typing away after that
    4. Samsung Admire - First android phone, was a nice little phone. Only wished the camera had flash.
    5. LG Optimus F6 - Another one of my favorites. Sadly it stuck in random reboot smh.
    6. OnePlus One - Amazing phone. No complaints (besides the touchscreen issue but it got fixed).
    Bonus - IPhone 5 have it unlocked for backup.