• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photgraphers, let's talk about the camera

dr g

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
www.droidtiles.com
Let's talk a little bit about some hobbyist-photographer level (or higher?) stuff regarding the Evo camera. The hardware is plenty capable of creating excellent images; as photographers know, good images can come from the crappiest hardware.

Things I've noticed:

1. The basic focal length of the camera is kind of long. A large part of my camera use is food photography and I notice it can't quite get the angles and macro-esque shots I was getting with my Touch Pro. It almost fees like a good old 50mm lens.

2. Focusing is kind of finnicky. I notice that it misfocuses fairly often, locking on the background. I am not sure whether this is a processing issue (see #3) or just the nature of the camera, but I find myself deliberately front-focusing fairly often. The touch-focus is a nice feature but is finnicky in its own right, especially since exposuring seems to also be tied to the touch spot.

3. Photo processing seems VERY aggressive, with super strong sharpening and noise reduction applied. I sometimes wonder if that sharpening causes the strange appearance of multiple focal planes in the images.

4. I am pretty impressed with the capabilities of the LED flash. I am a longtime hater of LED flashes, and have not even found them useful for fill lighting prior. But this generation, they are starting to return acceptable results both in image quality and controllability while shooting. I find myself using the flash fairly often. However as far as I can tell, the camera doesn't consistently use the LEDs for focus assist, which often results in misfocusing in low light.

Anyone else see these issues and can confirm/refute? Could be some of them are unique to my unit.

I have not yet delved into image processing apps beyond the superficial. I am giving Camera 360 a whirl right now, which is mostly an effects app. What are the good image editing/processing apps out there?

I've noticed that the further away the subject is, the better the result. The lens seems to mimic a wide angle lens in that there is some distortion when you fill the screen with something like someone's face. That and I can't seem to get a good focus on anything closer than 12 feet unless it is in direct sunlight. But you bring up an interesting point that it might be the in-phone processing causing that effect.

Do you have any samples of good/bad scenarios for this camera?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones