• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
As far as I know you can't.. The photo album is very limited and I've been searching for a better app without any success.

The default album you're talking about will just search in all your folders for images and display the folder where the images are in as an album.

Very annoying since I have one map called comics where I collect al my comics in different maps. The album doesn't know submaps so it just displays EVERY single map as an album.

Upvote 0
Check the Desire new user guide:

To add a new photo album, just mount the phone via USB to a PC, create a new folder and give it a name. Add your pictures to this folder. Now browse to the “Albums” in your phone and it will automatically create an album with the folder name you specified containing the pictures you added.

You can also use a file manager like Astro to do this from your phone.

Reactions: queenrocks77
Upvote 0
How did you create the album folder?

Using PC while your phone is connected via USB?

Or by using file manager like ASTRO or EStrongs?

Because there is a nasty bug on the photo album app:
- the photo album app does not recognize files that are put into the "DCIM\100MEDIA" using file manager or via FTP.

Recently, I got that issue and described here:
xda-developers - View Single Post - Flaws & annoyances with the HTC Desire (with workarounds!) [updated May 3, 2010]

Note that the "Camera" app does recognize the images that I put there because I saw one of it as icon displayed in the bottom right corner.

Only the photo album does not recognize it.

Workaround: Connect the phone to a PC via USB as disk drive. This will refresh the folder which then seen by the photo album.

Oh yeah, I cannot believe there is no alternative of decent photo album app in the Market!!!

This actually doesn't work for me. :-(

Upvote 0
Same problem here; I worked out that if I save my mp3's into individual folders for each album with the cover art image, then the music app will show the cover art for the associated album; great!

However, visiting photo album lists all my music folders too because it recognises the cover art as images!

All I really want is a camera album then "custom" folders for specific types of photo's; family, scenery, days out, etc.

I could do this easily on my old Sony C905, but not on the hottest phone on the planet!! Will 2.2 resolve this?

Upvote 0
Same problem here; I worked out that if I save my mp3's into individual folders for each album with the cover art image, then the music app will show the cover art for the associated album; great!

However, visiting photo album lists all my music folders too because it recognises the cover art as images!

All I really want is a camera album then "custom" folders for specific types of photo's; family, scenery, days out, etc.

I could do this easily on my old Sony C905, but not on the hottest phone on the planet!! Will 2.2 resolve this?

if you get a pc program like mp3tag you can embed the album art into the mp3 files ID3 tags, then you wont need to store the album art as a picture on the phone.

and to the OP, I use astro to create/name a new folder and move the images between folders on the sd card.

Upvote 0
With regards to the album art... I have on my pc real player. For any tracks or albums I go into the properties of the mp3 on real player and upload the picture into the file and save it. Then OT stores the picture into the mph3 file itself and has no need to dump it into a folder on my desire. All i do is transfer the new mp3 from my PC to ky desire.

I'm yet to find a strong photo album app yet too

Upvote 0
This is one aspect which baffles me about the Desire.

The phone does so much, yet with the stock apps and options you don't seem to be able to arrange simple folders for photos without connecting the phone to a PC.

So? Google didn't create the phone with every possible option by default. There are plenty of free apps that let you do this. It's not baffling at all...

I'm yet to find a strong photo album app yet too

Here you go http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/04/add-the-nexus-one-gallery-to-htc-desire/

Reactions: freefall
Upvote 0
So? Google didn't create the phone with every possible option by default. There are plenty of free apps that let you do this. It's not baffling at all...

I understand where you're coming from. However, one would have thought the ability to create separate folders to store your photos in would have come as standard with a phone of the Desire's ilk? It's capable of far more complex tasks straight out of the box, I just find it strange that more simple tasks require an app.

I suppose it's similar to purchasing a brand new car with all the bells and whistles ranging from PS3 consoles and HDTVs in the back seat to a luxury leather interior with heated and cooling options on the seats and steering wheel, only for you to find out it has a cassette player which you can replace with a CD player/MP3 player if you wish! :D

Upvote 0
I understand where you're coming from. However, one would have thought the ability to create separate folders to store your photos in would have come as standard with a phone of the Desire's ilk? It's capable of far more complex tasks straight out of the box, I just find it strange that more simple tasks require an app.

I suppose it's similar to purchasing a brand new car with all the bells and whistles ranging from PS3 consoles and HDTVs in the back seat to a luxury leather interior with heated and cooling options on the seats and steering wheel, only for you to find out it has a cassette player which you can replace with a CD player/MP3 player if you wish! :D

That analogy makes no sense lol!!

I think HTC have perhaps followed the trend set, in part, by Apple, whereby you use you computer to do the organising (via USB) and then your phone is there for you to use. Many on here use Astro but I dare say the majority of Desire users out there have no interest in moving folders about on the phone itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones