1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Photo Contacts *sigh* Will "join" option help?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redravenxo, May 4, 2011.

1. redravenxo

redravenxo Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    I know this question has been asked many times & I promise I really did use the search feature as thoroughly as possible! However, all the answers I found applied to different phones & mentioned options & settings I do not seem to have, so....

Wondering how to sync contact photos from Facebook... A couple of problems, though. 1) Almost none of my contacts have the same name in my phone as they do on Facebook. (I put in things like "Mom - (her name)" or "Bob & Jane" for people who are at the same number, etc.) 2) Some of my contacts are not on Facebook. (I know those I'll have to add through Google or whatever). 3) Many solutions talked about using the Facebook app that came with the phone, but I do not seem to have that, just a bookmark. Would I need the Facebook app from market? And is it decent? Have seen a lot of comments about it being kind of bleh.

I'd love to sync the people that I can, even if I have to do it semi-manually. I don't have a zillion people to deal with at present. I know I probably won't be able to have them auto-update when people change their photos, but I can live with that. I would like to at least avoid having to save & apply each photo individually, though.

I do see one possible option... the "join" option. Would I be able to sync contacts from Facebook & then use this "join" option to get them attached to "my" names for them? (Uh, not sure that made sense... Example : Sync with Facebook & I get a contact named "Bob Smith." In my phone he is listed as "Bob & Jane." Would I then be able to join those two contacts & get the Bob Smith Facebook photo to apply to Bob & Jane?). I haven't tried this yet as I don't want to get things all goofed up, so am hoping for confirmation first.

If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks much - O

Advertisement

2. lizm

lizm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Yes, join works. If the names are the same or close to it the phone will do it automatically but if not you can do it manually.

Go to contact, long press, choose edit. Click menu then join. If the contact you want isn't suggested, search for it. If you still don't see it in the search results, click "Search for all Contacts".

Works me for me. Not the most elegant solution in the world but you only have to do it once, unless you remove Facebook or something.

redravenxo likes this.
  3. redravenxo

redravenxo Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Oh, awesome! Thank you for the confirmation. Much appreciated. I've seen so many threads where people were having problems with syncing contacts & Facebook. Figured I would try to do it this way & avoid the issues. Pleased to know it should work. Thanks again! *hugs*

EDIT: Oops, got excited & forgot one thing. How do I get the Facebook sync to happen in the first place? Do I need the Facebook app? (Am just running it through the website at the moment).

4. redravenxo

redravenxo Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Hrm... Okay, so I installed the Facebook app & was editing contacts, getting rid of ones I didn't really need, "joining" others, etc. Then I decided to log out of Facebook because I find it weird to sit around logged into things forever... and apparently, logging out of Facebook gets rid of everything you've sync'd? That's rather dumb.

Is there some way to make the sync'd contacts stay put even if you log out? Anyone know if SyncMyPix rather than the FB app will keep them there permanently?

(I'm not sure why it's such a hassle to essentially download a few photos! Would have been faster to just save them to my gallery at this point. Blargh.)

EDIT: And while we're here... is there a Facebook/Twitter app that doesn't suck? Seems every one of them has terrible reviews. The ones that I've seen recommended here were apparently great a while back but have gone downhill.

5. tcklord

tcklord Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Go ahead and try SyncMyPix I use it because it seems like the facebook app only updated the photos the first time I added the account. SyncMyPix can update the photos if people have updated their profile. It will not get them all if the names are not the same but in the current version you can even pic each contact that did not sync long press and assign it to a contact on the phone.

redravenxo likes this.
  6. redravenxo

redravenxo Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Ahh, thank you for confirming that. I actually found one called FContatcsSync that works fine, but I may go ahead & try SyncMyPix instead of getting the paid version of FContactsSync. (That one does work for just grabbing photos & letting you assign them to people if they are not found automatically, as well. I was a bit leery of it as it appears to be brand new & has hardly any reviews etc, but it had nice clear instructions, which I liked. The interface could use some work - some scrolling areas don't scroll right, etc. - but it does what it needs to do. Just in case anyone was curious about that one).

Thanks for the help, all. I no longer have a contact list full of wee robots, so I feel better. :)

7. lizm

lizm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Hmm. I guess I stay logged into the FB app. I only noticed having to do my joins over again when I deleted all data from the FB app, gaining some space for a big app install.

Wee robots made me lol :)

8. redravenxo

redravenxo Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    I am not totally used to the smartphone thing yet. It may be that staying logged into stuff is fairly normal these days, so things can sync, but it just weirds me out. I'm in the habit of not logging into anything unless I'm using it, but I suppose I'll have to get used to doing things differently if I want have a FB stream & all. *shrug*

But have got things set up reasonably well for now, I think & will go from here.

Hehe. Glad I could provide some amusement. :)

Tags: