• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help photo import/export

Once plugged in to PC, pull down your notification tray on the tablet. You will see a notification that says " USB for charging".
Tap it, more options will appear. Choose the one that says "for transferring media".

You will now see the files in windows file explorer.
You have to do this every time you want to transfer files.

It's the way Android 6 works.

Tablet now natively supports USB otg, so you can use a flash drive with it also.

Upvote 0
Thanks Madbat ... all functioning now.
I don't quite understand what you mean 'using a flash drive'. I presume that you need a specific type of Memory Stick because of the Nexus 7 connection socket? Would appreciate an explanation ... this sounds a good method to access information that you want but which you do not want to store on the tablet.
Thanks.

Edit: I meant to say that my problem was the cable I used ... it functioned for charging only so not all cables are equal! The original Nexus 7 cable OK and on connection the driver was auto installed on W10 pc and I had immediate access to files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Madbat ... all functioning now.
I don't quite understand what you mean 'using a flash drive'. I presume that you need a specific type of Memory Stick because of the Nexus 7 connection socket? Would appreciate an explanation ... this sounds a good method to access information that you want but which you do not want to store on the tablet.
Thanks.

Edit: I meant to say that my problem was the cable I used ... it functioned for charging only so not all cables are equal! The original Nexus 7 cable OK and on connection the driver was auto installed on W10 pc and I had immediate access to files.
There are a couple ways to use a flash drive on n7. You can use a USB otg cable. It's a little (about 2 inches long) cable that's micro USB on the end for the tablet, and female USB on the other to plug in a USB flash drive. Look on amazon for USB otg (on the go).
It used to be you needed root to use this, no more. Marshmallow now handles it very well with no modification whatsoever. Just plug and play.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
If you want an all in 1 USB-OTG flash drive I've been using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RBGYGMO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

However that one is USB 3.0, there are also ones that are USB 2.0 if you have an older PC. Although I'd assume the new ones are backwards compatible. The other option is the adapter like this that any drive can be connected to:

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Samus...147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F11KKXKTMW9XQ5F2KXT

Like Madbat mentioned these work great with Marshmallow. And I've had no issues using the 1st link above that I posted in TWRP. My nandroid backups (just made one actually ) are around 6GB and since I have a 16gb tablet this was my only option for making nandroid backups. :)

Reactions: Madbat
Upvote 0
If you want an all in 1 USB-OTG flash drive I've been using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RBGYGMO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

However that one is USB 3.0, there are also ones that are USB 2.0 if you have an older PC. Although I'd assume the new ones are backwards compatible. The other option is the adapter like this that any drive can be connected to:

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Samus...147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F11KKXKTMW9XQ5F2KXT

Like Madbat mentioned these work great with Marshmallow. And I've had no issues using the 1st link above that I posted in TWRP. My nandroid backups (just made one actually ) are around 6GB and since I have a 16gb tablet this was my only option for making nandroid backups. :)
HA! I ordered that same one (first link) a few weeks ago. Have been using it for a couple weeks. I love that thing. I use one on my N9 too. Transferring files from PC with USB 3.0 is crazy. Blazing fast.
Twrp backups here as well. Best accessory I've gotten for my devices.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
I have been using the all in 1 USB-OTG flash drive described above to look at its stored files on my tablet. However , I can't grasp how I can copy files from the tablet to this flash drive? I use OfficeSuite Pro and File Commander. It's probably very basic but I would appreciate someone 'walking me' through the process.
Thanks Ron

Upvote 0
I have been using the all in 1 USB-OTG flash drive described above to look at its stored files on my tablet. However , I can't grasp how I can copy files from the tablet to this flash drive? I use OfficeSuite Pro and File Commander. It's probably very basic but I would appreciate someone 'walking me' through the process.
Thanks Ron

Try the app ES file explorer. It will let you copy and paste files from a USB drive to the tablet, or from tablet to drive.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones