1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Photon 4G in UK on Three

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AhmadCentral, Aug 29, 2011.

1. AhmadCentral

AhmadCentral Newbie

Hi there,

I'm thinking about importing the Photon 4G to the UK for personal use.

It says on the official page that it is unlocked for GSM Networks worldwide. Now Three UK are a 3G only carrier, they work on UMTS 2100 / HSPA+. Would a normal photon 4G work on the three network in the UK with calls, texts and data. I know that i'd have to enter the APN settings manually etc...

Also would it keep searching for sprints network or would it default to 3's network because it is 3G.

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Streptovsky

Streptovsky Newbie

The Photon is compatible with UMTS 2100 and HSPA+.

3. AhmadCentral

AhmadCentral Newbie

Ok thanks,

But would sprint have to unlock the phone or could i just use a normal sprint phone which is already unlocked to gsm networks. (not 3G???)

Also i've heard that the APN settings are locked to Sprint. Is there any way i can change this to access Three's 3G network. I need this to work 100%. Bear in mind that i'm purchasing it unlocked and not on contract.

Thanks

4. Streptovsky

Streptovsky Newbie

Generally to go overseas you do need to have it unlocked. That's the case even with GSM devices.

I'm pretty sure it's less to do with the network compatibility and more to do with the phone's programming. It's released in a specific geographic region, it's designed to work in that region, so it usually won't work in another region prior to that programming being altered (unlocking it)

Motorola Photon 4G Forum

The Motorola Photon 4G release date was August 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2011
Release Date
Reviews