1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Photon and Wi-Fi for net connection?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yakkster, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Yakkster

Yakkster Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    I just ordered a Photon and was told I have 14 days to determine if it will serve my purposes as a much valued means of internet connection. I'm an old fart who doesn't get out much to cruise for chicks anymore and my sorry ole social life is mainly in online fishing and photography forums.

I have been a happy Sprint mobile broadband customer and have been using their 598U USB device for a 3G connection. I am hoping 4G will come to my rural area in November ... as a Sprint phone rep had mentioned to me today.

Anyway, the same rep told me even though I do not have 4G I will still have unlimited data use on 3G. I hope an actual user in this forum can prove this is correct. I've been having problems keeping my usage under the 5G limit on my mobile broadband plan now.

I am also looking for info on how to best setup Wi-Fi on my PC for use with the phone as I have very little experience. I do have a "N" capable Linksys router, I think it's called, but only had it operational on the PC when I was still using a Hughesnet satellite for my net connection which was before I changed to Sprint. I guess that's been over two years now.

I live in a metal shielded RV in a Park overlooking a rural foothill lake. I use a long USB cable to attach the 589U to the PC then hang it near a window where it gets a usable signal strength.

I "picture" putting the Photon outside where it should get an even better signal and should be within easy "reach" for Wi-Fi.

One concern is ... Will I be able to use the phone for incoming calls if it's in use as my net connection? (Which is to be the case most of the time.)

Another thing is knowing if I do have a incoming call if the phone is outside ... since my TV is usually blaring (I'm old and hard of hearing). I doubt I'll be able to hear it's ring even though I've read reviews that say it "rings" pretty loud. I wonder if an indication could be sent to my PC that would pop-up a note or play a tune that tells me of a call? Anyone know if this is possible? Maybe there's an "Ap" that'll do it?

My current phone is a old Samsung Eternity with AT&T service. It's been a good phone in that I can hear it's ring and inside my "tin box" it does well receiving calls. Two newer phones I've in the past 8 months, a Quantum on AT&T and T-Mobile 4G android, I forget the model name, did not "ring" for in coming calls when placed in the same spot I keep the Samsung.

I have high hopes this Motorola phone (like one I had in distant past) will have good radio receive and transmit qualities. Any feedback from Photon users about signal strength inside a metal sided RV will also be helpful.

My At&T phone costs me about $60 per month. My current Sprint mobile broadband plan is about $63 per month. The new Photon with the required data and monthly $30 or so for Wi-Fi hotspot will probably come out to about $120 after taxes and stuff. If the Wi-Fi net connection proves to be satisfactory the benefit to me will be a nice new phone and (I hope) UNLIMITED data .... and when 4G arrives much increased speed.

I've got my fingers crossed! :rolleyes:

Any feedback from Photon Wi-Fi users will be MUCH appreciated.

THANKS!

Advertisement

2. ghodzilla5150

ghodzilla5150 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    call Sprint and tell them you get horrible service at your house and they will send you an Airwave (mini cell tower that you connect to your internet router, make sure you connect the GPS Antenna, will get a better 3G signal). Should be able to talk outside, I can.

Motorola Photon has the BEST Radio/Antenna of All Android phones out there. You should be good to go. It's the best Android phone I have ever had. Have fun

3. murphyrulez

murphyrulez Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    :)

Should he plug the power cable from his power strip into the power strip and receive infinite power?

He doesn't have internet service. He is going to use his cell service for internet.

An airave would be pointless.