1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Photon home screen(s) do not rotate to landscape

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dfisher52, Sep 23, 2011.

1. dfisher52

dfisher52 Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Hello,

I have had my Photon for a week now, and I am still learning about it.

As of this morning, it does not rotate any of the home screens to landscape orientation, nor the dialer or contacts applications when I hold the phone in landscape mode.

The other applications that I have tried today will automatically open in landscape mode if I am holding the phone that way, but when I return to one of the home screens, the display reverts back to portrait mode, even though I am still holding the phone in a landscape orientation.

Are there some settings somewhere that I have missed? Or is there a fix or "adjustment" that can restore the landscape capability?

Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. dfisher52

dfisher52 Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Just to follow up with a little more information, If I open the kickstand, the phone goes into landscape orientation regardless of what screen or app I am on, and it will remain that way until I close the kickstand.

So that brings up another question: it there a setting that I can use to set a special screen timeout value for just for when the kickstand is out? In all likelihood, if I have the kickstand out I probably don't want the screen to go dark as quickly as I normally would.

Once again, any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BTW, this is my first android phone and I am loving it. I just need to understand it a bit more.

Thanks again,

D

3. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    The Motorola stock launcher does not allow the phone to go into landscape mode, unless you have the active kickstand enabled, which brings up a separate mode from the standard launcher.

I believe only vanilla Android allows the phone to go into landscape mode on the home launcher, unless you use an aftermarket like Launcher Pro, Go Launcher, ADW, etc... If you want more information on alternative launchers, there's a thread in the FAQ sticky thread that you can post in to ask questions about those.

dfisher52 likes this.
  4. dfisher52

dfisher52 Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Drexappeal,

Thank-you for the response. Maybe I only noticed the landscape home screens and dialer app screens when I had the kickstand opened.

At this point I think I am staying with the stock launcher until I become a bit more knowledgable about the phone and how it all works.

Do you know if there is any way to automatically set the screen timeout to a different value specific to when the kickstand is open?

Thank-you again for your assistance and guidance.

D

5. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Not specific to the kickstand, but there are 2 areas that'll affect the screen timeout

1) Settings>Display
    *2) Settings>Applications>Development (Only 1 option here, which is to keep display on when charging).

*The reason for the asterisk is, it's been found out that opening the kickstand actually de-toggles the "stay awake" function. I don't know why they designed it that way, but just wanted you to be aware of that, in the event you set the phone to stay awake, but then all of a sudden it doesn't. Seems like there's a reason behind it, but I wish they would change that so that I could keep the phone awake whenever I'm charging (or keep it on standby if I wanted).

6. Sidewinder7

Sidewinder7 Newbie
    None

Aug 28, 2011
    Seems like most stock launchers will keep home screens portrait and all the aftermarket allow you to rotate.

7. dfisher52

dfisher52 Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips.

I'll keep learning.

BTW, I really like this phone. I think it is about everything I could ask for in today's market.

D

8. PreVayl

PreVayl Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    Production Designer/Manager
    Miami
    I know your looking to be more knowledgable with the phone for now, But one thing that wouldnt hurt is try looking up what "Launcher pro" has to offer it has a ton of features and customization thats easy to understand as well. the coolest 2 features for me on launcher pro, is the bottom dock is scrollable too, left to right and you can load up icons and shortcuts etc. Another cool feature is the ability to adjust how many rows and columns you have on the home screens and custom adjust the hight and width of the widgets.