• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photon Number Two Bricked

simcha

Android Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2010
Oakland, CA
My second Photon was bricked this morning. I was using the hotspot and usb tether to download music. Suddenly it got caught in a reboot loop. After several battery pulls and a factory reset the phone displayed an error page. This page said that the modem would not power on and that it was in some recovery mode. I tried another few battery pulls but no matter what I got that error screen. When it was displaying the error screen it wouldn't even let me power it down with the power button. It was just bricked.

I just got back from Best Buy. I exchanged it for my third MoPho in a week and a half. Hopefully MoPho number three is problem free. If not, I might be done with the MoPho.

I'm scared to use the hotspot or usb tether on this third one now. I'm going to have to do it though soon to test it. I've put this phone through its paces otherwise and drained the battery well. At some point tomorrow I'll test the phone with hotspot and tether... I'm nervous...

Has anyone else used usb tether and the hotspot without sending the MoPho into a reboot loop? I don't want to brick this phone. :eek:

,שלום
שמחה

Upvote 0
My second Photon was bricked this morning. I was using the hotspot and usb tether to download music. Suddenly it got caught in a reboot loop. After several battery pulls and a factory reset the phone displayed an error page. This page said that the modem would not power on and that it was in some recovery mode. I tried another few battery pulls but no matter what I got that error screen. When it was displaying the error screen it wouldn't even let me power it down with the power button. It was just bricked.

I just got back from Best Buy. I exchanged it for my third MoPho in a week and a half. Hopefully MoPho number three is problem free. If not, I might be done with the MoPho.

Which method were you using at the time it bricked? The hot spot or the tether? (otherwise, why would you be using both?)

Are you rooted? Were you using the "official" Sprint tether connection method? If not, were you using one of the third party tools (e.g. PDAnet, easyTether, etc.?) or were you using a rooted method?

Upvote 0
Which method were you using at the time it bricked? The hot spot or the tether? (otherwise, why would you be using both?)

Are you rooted? Were you using the "official" Sprint tether connection method? If not, were you using one of the third party tools (e.g. PDAnet, easyTether, etc.?) or were you using a rooted method?

I'm not rooted. I'm using Sprint's hotspot and paying for it.

I was using the hotspot while having the phone in "mass storage mode" so I could simply store the songs on my MoPho. Maybe tethering wasn't the correct word to use for that.

Upvote 0
I'm not rooted. I'm using Sprint's hotspot and paying for it.

I was using the hotspot while having the phone in "mass storage mode" so I could simply store the songs on my MoPho. Maybe tethering wasn't the correct word to use for that.

So you had your computer hooked to the internet via the Photon/Sprint's official hotspot capability, and the Photon hooked to your computer via USB mass storage mode, and were saving things directly to the phone? Huh. I've hooked mine up as USB mass storage many times with zero issues, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would try setting up the phone as a hotspot, downloading what you want to your computer, then turn off the hotspot and connect the phone as mass storage and transfer it over.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones