• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photos and memory card wiped...

mrcaptain

Jun 22, 2010
Turned my tablet on after it decharged, plugged it into my computer to back up my photos etc, only to find that all my photos and videos on the tablet and memory card are gone! The memory card is totally empty, but the only thing deleted from the tablet is my photos and videos. All the apps are still there.
This, to me, seems strange.

Has this happened to any one else?
I could try data recovery software to try and get the photos back, but I'm away on business tonight for the next few days, and need my tablet, so i'm screwed.

Have you inspected the internal storage using a file manager like ES File Explorer?

Look under the folders in /sdcard/DCIM for photos or video that you took with the built-in camera.

It seems possible that something changed on the PC to prevent the USB interface from working as you expect.

If the files really are gone, what you describe would happen if a Factory data reset were performed on the tablet. If you had the Google backup/restore options on, after the reset, the device would automatically install all apps that you had installed, restore your email settings, etc., but would not restore photos, videos, or any other user files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones