• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Photos app: "No photos"

connorhawke

Mar 4, 2018
Suddenly, no photos are showing up in the main Photos tab in the Photos app on my Pixel. It literally says "No photos". I'm logged into the correct account, the photos show up in the folders in the Library tab, where it says they're backed up, and when I check photos.google.com on a desktop they're there, but they don't show up in the main Photos tab in the default Android app. Tried reopening app, restarting phone and clearing Photos cache. Anything else I should try short of another restore?

Edit: they reappeared immediately after I sent feedback on the issue via the app... go figure...

Last edited:
Issue has happened again, except it doesn't say No Photos this time. In the Photos tab, all I can see where there should be photos is a random date a few weeks back although my most recent photos were taken yesterday. When I hold down on the date it apparently selects 5 photos that are nonetheless invisible in this area (see attached screenshot).

The photos are still in the Library tab, and when I log into Photos on desktop, all photos seem intact in the Cloud (and indeed, on desktop Cloud I can see the 5 photos taken on the aforementioned random date).

It's just the Photos tab in the Photos app that's gone wonky so seems it might be an interface/UI issue. Tried clearing cache and restarting phone. Who can figure out how to get the photos to reappear?

343679d1648744839t-photos-app-no-photos-screenshot_20220331-123015.jpg

Upvote 0
Issue has happened again, except it doesn't say No Photos this time. In the Photos tab, all I can see where there should be photos is a random date a few weeks back although my most recent photos were taken yesterday. When I hold down on the date it apparently selects 5 photos that are nonetheless invisible in this area (see attached screenshot).

The photos are still in the Library tab, and when I log into Photos on desktop, all photos seem intact in the Cloud (and indeed, on desktop Cloud I can see the 5 photos taken on the aforementioned random date).

It's just the Photos tab in the Photos app that's gone wonky so seems it might be an interface/UI issue. Tried clearing cache and restarting phone. Who can figure out how to get the photos to reappear?

Did you connect this with your USB to your comp and see if you can find them that way?

Upvote 0
Which Pixel and what version of Android? That doesn't look anything like the Photos app I'm used to seeing.

Pixel 4a, Android 12.

Did Settings > Apps > Photos > Storage & cache > Manage space > Delete. That seemed to do the trick, all seems intact. I exported a backup beforehand just in case.

Now to preventing it to begin with... For now, reporting to Google is the best I've done for that.

Upvote 0

This happened again. This time, I noticed when I zoomed in on the Photos tab by swiping, a photo from yesterday appeared, but no other photos from yesterday or the days before. Unlocking a few photos made several non-locked photos appear, but not all. I finally found a (relatively) quick workaround: archive then unarchive all the photos.

Sent this feedback to Google:

No photos were appearing in the Photos tab of the Photos app. They were in the folders and Cloud, just not in that tab in the app. Clearing cache and restarting phone did not help. It seems I could technically select all photos from this month using the check-circle, but the photos still didn't appear. Last time this happened I had to clear app data to resolve it, but I shouldn't have to do this. This time, I discovered a quicker workaround: archiving then unarchiving the photos. But this issue should not be happening to begin with and the fact it has happened multiple times nearly a half year apart is not acceptable. Why hasn't this been fixed yet?

Screenshot_20221021-064300.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones