1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Photos are being deleted mysteriously

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sugaman1, Jan 11, 2019.

1. sugaman1

sugaman1 Newbie

I have a ATT Note 8 and I have noticed that my photos have been disappearing for some reason I don't use any of the backup options like Google or Samsung. I am wondering if the Device maintenance in Settings will delete your photos when you run the Optimize option? Or has anyone else ran it to the issue with Note 8 disappearing photos?

Duckster and marctronixx like this.
  2. marctronixx

Yes it will delete files so be careful when you use it.

Duckster likes this.
  3. sugaman1

sugaman1 Newbie

still can't figure out why my photos keep getting deleted I had a ton of them now my note 8 has just about deleted them all o_O

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Are they being stored on the phone or a removable SD card? If the latter, where did you buy the card from? There are a lot of "fake" cards out there, hacked to pretend to be larger than they are, and if you have one of those then data loss will follow.

If they are being stored on the phone, do you have any Gallery app that can back up and delete photos to save space (as Google Photos can, and I'd not be surprised if the Samsung app can too), and if so is the auto clean up setting enabled?

Otherwise, please tell us everything you can about your phone. Just knowing that things are disappearing isn't much to go on.

sugaman1 and marctronixx like this.
  5. sugaman1

sugaman1 Newbie

Yes I do have a sd card the one samsung gave me with the phone its not a cheap fake one 256 samsung card. I do have the camera set to store photo's to the sd card but that didn't stop them from being deleted. I am using the stock app for gallery and that's it nothing special just what came on the phone but I have seen over 1800 pics disappear I thing it has something to do with Device care but I don't see how to stop it that's my guess anyway so any help would be much appreciated.

6. marctronixx

Without seeing your phone it’s difficult over the internet to help. You could have any number of apps running in the background that can take control. Also if you are uploading to google photos, you could have some setting set to delete phots off your device after X days.. its just difficult to get help over the net for “rabbit hole” issues like this as its not just cut and dry. Best thing to do is retrace your steps and worse case.. factory reset.

Duckster likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 release date was September 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch screen, 12MP camera, 6GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

September 2017
Release Date
Reviews