1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Photos from network share; streaming or slideshow

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Martijnh, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Martijnh

Martijnh Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    I'm in search of an app with which I can view photos from a network share and let me swipe through them. Or maybe even show them as a slideshow.

Apps like ES File Explorer or File Manager HD let me view single photo's, but not slide through a set of pics. And the default Honeycomb photo viewer only scans the (Galaxy Tab 10.1) tablet for pitures.

I've searched like hell -no results.... any ideas?

Advertisement

2. janko22

janko22 Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    yeah, no kidding im lookign for the same thing, actually more :)
    since we ahve thousands of pics, whats the best way to show them off - via a tablet/picture frame.

im looking for an app to basically read off my NAS for pics, which can either play them in Random, or based on some tags and so on.
    i dotn want to rename my pics, jsut tag them, and then show them on the tablet.

any ideas?? im willing to pay for this kind of app.
    please someone make it.
    i know Synlogy and WD photos has something liek this but not as advanced, like tagging sorting, random.

any ideas???
    anyone???

3. defrederick

defrederick Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Have a look on the Market for Netslide. It's pretty basic, but does exactly what you're looking for. Donate for 99 cents.

He's not developing it any more, but you might be able to get him to send you the source code if you want to run with it.

Cheers,

Dan

4. Ian glos

Ian glos Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    Just looked at Netslide, and it doesn't want to connect with my nas drive (which has a password on it. Any others?

5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    QuickPic lets you choose which drives you want to view pictures from. Not sure if it's compatible with network drives, but it's free to find out. :)
    QuickPic.

6. SpiderSX

SpiderSX Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Stop Searching... This is the ANSWER:

I have been looking for the same app for my Samsung Galaxy Phone and my Thrive. At first I had been using Flickr Pro, and uploading my images to Flickr. Viewing them with the Just Pictures App works very well, as does the slideshow. but uploading is very time consuming.

I had tried many different apps to get a slideshow to work on my network, maybe 10 hours wasted. But I found Success.

I did have to root my Toshiba Thrive, after much research. Once rooted, I installed CIFS Manager which let me Map my Windows Network Share on Android.

Mapping the network drive on Android tricks the operating system into thinking the files are local, and thus lets you choose which application to open the files with. (you must be rooted)

After Mapping the drive you need a good File Explorer, I found ES File Explorer to be great but it has its own Image Viewer that I could not seem to turn off. So I am using AndExplorer and when I open an image... it asks which app to use! :)

And Quickpic is the best... I've tried many. Again Quickpic is the best! However if Quickpic had a better folder browsing layout and got rid of albums, a file explorer would not be needed.

Message to Quickpic DEVS: listen to our requests we will pay!

7. loxai

loxai Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Have you tried entering USER:pASSWORD@HOST instead of just the host address?
    Netslide is indeed a very primitive app (it was actually my first Android project)... I should do some improvements, but I'm focused on other projects now (and feel lazy to get back to it :p )

8. Vuillard

Vuillard Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2012
    I browse the photos on my Windows 7 PC over the WLAN using QuickPic. I have the folder on my Windows PC mounted as a CIFS share on my Acer Iconia A200 using CIFSManager. That mounting was a tiny bit tricky (but kind of beyond the scope of this thread). Anyway, I could not get QuickPic to add that folder to the gallery using the main interface (the folder was greyed out) but when I went into settings I could add it as one of the folders to be scanned. Once I did that all my photos were pretty quickly loaded up.

9. loxai

loxai Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    old thread but, in case somebody is listening: I have just published a nice update to Netslide with better UI (wasn't hard to make it better, really) and some neat features like RSS feeds (meaning you can use Flickr, Instagram and other online services as source); or map of the photo location (GTA style)... plenty more details added.
    enjoy!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.loxai&hl=en

10. Techno79

Techno79 Newbie
    None

Sep 27, 2008
    It's a real shame that development and support of this app seems to be abandoned. It is exactly what I'm after but there doesn't seem to be any other apps that will do this.