1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Photo's in text messages

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by amado3, Aug 14, 2012.

1. amado3

amado3 Newbie

Two issues:

Using the stock text messaging (maybe I need to change that?) - and every time I get a text with a picture in it, the picture shows up as a 5 second video clip of that picture.

Also, the picture (video) is only about half the size of the screen, so I have to save it and then go to my gallery to look at it in regular size (shouldn't i just be able to click on it or something?)

Did I mess with some setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance - and yes, I'm new to Android...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thaKing

thaKing Android Enthusiast

I believe that's the norm....

3. I had that problem, but it was intermittent. I never found a common denominator, though, so I'm not sure if it is a carrier issue (from the sender) or a phone issue (either) or what.

That said, I haven't had the problem since Sprint's latest OTA. It also seemed to fix the LED notification issue with the 3rd party app "GoSMS Pro". Since the problem was intermittent anyways, I can't say for sure that the stock app was fixed for this issue, but I'm reasonably certain that it was. GoSMS Pro is pretty nice, though, so I'm giving it a go for the next month or so.

4. thaKing

Yep, I've moved to GoSMS Pro as well...

5. Joshieca

Joshieca Member

Handcent SMS does it too. I think it has a lot to do with the type of phone more over than the carrier. My friends who have iPhone's, I tend to get that video slide show thing more over than those with other brands of phones.

6. thaKing

Something I noticed today, but haven't been able to confirm with certainty, is that when I send a photo by itself it goes through normally. However, if I add text to the photo I'm sending, like "look at this car" and send a photo of a car, it sends it like a 5 sec video. Has anyone noticed this?

7. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

bingo...

its STUPID...and i think Samsung dropped the ball on this...but thats the issue right there...

8. thaKing

Awesome! At least I know what causes it now...They did more than drop the ball, it appears as though they were in the wrong court all together. That just doesn't make sense *at all*. But hey, I know how to avoid it. :D

9. amado3

amado3 Newbie

Thanks for the responses - in doing some more digging around it does seem like this is a common issue across carriers/phones. Pretty disappointing!

Guess I'll just keep "saving attachments" for now...

10. donmeca2020

donmeca2020 Well-Known Member

I also happen to notice this with my s3 as well. i have tomobile, it doesn't bother me so much, considering my old phone i would about 50% of the time receive photos due to crappy service from my old company...

11. Danno4970

Danno4970 Lurker

I hated this so much when I first noticed it. I started using go sms pro and it hasn't happened yet so I don't think it will. I narrowed its occurrence down to the event a picture is sent with text along with it.

Another thing involving picture messaging is that in a text conversation I cannot swipe through exchanged pictures within that conversation as if in the gallery. Iinstead when exiting from looking at the picture I get redirected down to the latest texts. Incredibly frustrating when just trying to look at multiple pictures for comparison or whatnot. People who came from iPhone like I did will know exactly what I mean. Those two seemingly minute observations have nearly made me reconsider my choice of S3 over the upcoming iPhone 5. What a pathetic mess up.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews