• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Photos not available to be shared via apps on Samsung Galaxy S9

Dorit Turpaz

Lurker
Oct 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

New here, so hope I'm in the right place. I apologize for the length, I tried to be as clear as possible.

I have a six months old Samsung Galaxy S9, which went through factory hardware a couple of months ago. The most important and widely used feature is the camera. I backup photos using Google Photos for a couple of years (and devices).

Lately I noticed that while all of my photos taken since I started backing up through Google Photos are available through the Google Photos app, only some of them are available via the Samsung Galley app.

I don't really use the Samsung Gallery app, so I wouldn't mind, but the photos that are not available via the Samsung Gallery app cannot be pulled and shared through the different apps (i.e. Whatsapp, Facebook app), which is a problem for me.
I tried to find the logic that differentiates between the photos that are available to be shared via apps ( typeB_storage.jpg typeA_storage.jpg typeB_download.jpg typeB_savetodevice.jpg typeA_deletefromdevice.jpg ) and those are only available through the Google Photos app (photos type B):

1. All of the photos that have been taken using the S9's camera, backed up but not deleted from the phone itself are type A. However, when it comes to pיםאםד that were deleted from the device after backup, or photos taken prior to the S9, some of them (probably less than 1%) are available on Gallery and can be pulled (type A) and some aren't (type B).

2. With photos type A, on the upper left I have the option to "Delete from Device"; while on photos type B, I have the option to "Save to Device" or “Download”. This is although all of these photos have been backed up and supposedly deleted from the device itself - see attached screenshots.

3. The storage location is different : for photos type A it looks like an internal whatsapp storage folder (even if the photo itself was taken prior to the S9), while on photos type B it's only the file's name - see screenshots.

Any idea what’s going on here? Is there any way I can ensure all of the photos taken are saved like photos type A, and will remains so after backed-up and deleted from the device? Alternatively, is there a workaround to pull and share photos type B?

Thank you for your help,

Dorit

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones