1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Photos saving to 2 spots, and 1 spot not showing in gallery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rutgers1, Aug 12, 2012.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Newbie

One of the main reasons I bought the S3 is the camera. I loved the early reviews that I read. So far, I have found it to be pretty good, but one thing continues to confuse me....

Sometimes my photos do not appear in the gallery.

After playing around with the "My Files" app, I think the problem might be that the photos are saving two 2 places, with only one of them showing up in the gallery. The two places are:
    1) extSDCard > DCIM > CAMERA (some, but not all in this folder are showing up in the gallery)
    2) sdcard > DCIM > CAMERA (none showing up)

Any idea why the camera is randomly saving to both folders? Which would SHOULD it be saving to? Any suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Alsaces Daddy

Alsaces Daddy Android Expert

Sounds like you hid the photos in that folder/album at one point in time or another. Only thing that I know you might be able to do is go to where it is saved. Move that folder and all it's contents in to the folder you want it to be in. Hopefully that will correct the double saves.

3. rutgers1

rutgers1 Newbie

Is there a place where I can specify what folder to save in? Also, of the two listed above, which is the one where I "should" save them to (the one with more space)?

Thank you for your help!

4. Alsaces Daddy

Alsaces Daddy Android Expert

I didn't notice the two places. Looks like you have a partitioned SD card. Normally it would just save to SDCARD not SDCARDEXT.

5. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert

You can't choose a specific folder, only one of the two you listed above. The setting is in the Camera app. Tap the settings gear in the Camera app and scroll ALL the way down to Storage and choose Phone (sdcard/DCIM/Camera) or Memory card (extsdcard/DCIM/Camera). I left mine on the default Phone just because the internal memory is slightly faster than accessing the SD Card. And yes, if you start running out of space, you could choose the other.

And there is no good reason why the phone would be switching between the two locations randomly. Are you sure the photos on the ext SD Card are not from your old phone. Did you use the SD card from your old phone in the S3? My gallery shows two Camera albums. The internal one where my S3 photos are, and the external one where my old Droid X photos were left on the SD Card.

What are your settings in the Gallery app? At the top, what do you have selected to show (Albums, locations, time, person, or group)? Albums is default. Also, under View by (Menu key / View by) what do you have selected (All content, Content in device, Content in Facebook)?

6. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

The S3 has /sdcard which is actually on "Internal memory" or emmc. It also has /extSdCard which is the microsd card. Not to be confused with an ext partition /sd-ext.

the camera app has an option to save to either

7. rutgers1

rutgers1 Newbie

I just moved all the photos into the same folder and deleted a ton that I didn't need. I am hoping that this will do the trick. I thank everyone for their help!

8. rutgers1

rutgers1 Newbie

I had it on "albums" and "all content." I could be wrong, but I think my confusion stemmed from the photos being split between two folders.

9. 2xus

2xus Lurker

I'm having the same problem. my photos seem to randomly save to either location... /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera or /mnt/extSdCard/DCIM/Camera. I tried moving everything to the sd card and deleting the folder but it still happens and for me it seems like it starts when I use 'burst shot' as a matter of fact that's the problem. You change select the storage to be memory card and you'll see the memory card icon on the screen but when you're in 'burst shot', even if you've selected to save to the memory card already it defaults back to the phone for storage you can see the icon change from memory card to phone and if you go to the setting while in 'burst shot' to option is greyed out. Oddly enough the phone will split the 20 burst photos between the phones storage and the memory card. Once this happens any photos taken afterwards will randomly save in either location. It's not a big deal for me but it annoying when I'm looking in the gallery for a photo and I have to check 2 folders ESPECIALLY if I have 200+ in 1 folder and 100+ in the other. There has to be a fix for this other than not using the microSDXC for storage. I bought a 64GB... it's bad enough I can't use it for saving my apps, if I can't save my photos there what is it good for... videos???

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews