• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Physical Button To Answer Phone?

AlwaysAngry

Jan 15, 2011
when i pull my phone out of my pants pocket, it answers (and sometimes rejects, and sometimes simply locks-up) without me touching the screen. obviously, this is incredibly annoying to say the least.

anyways... i was wondering if there's some way to set the phone up to answer by hitting one of the physical buttons on the phone (such as the volume up/down or power button) instead of using (and preferably disabling) the touch screen?

ideally, i would like the option to stop the touchscreen from answering/declining a call until i press; volume-up to answer, or volume-down to decline.

thoughts?

or even some way to change the call screen so that you have to swipe from side-to-side to answer/decline instead of up and down? like this...

Attachments

• 099bedba0aUUQXZ.jpg-84x150.jpg
    099bedba0aUUQXZ.jpg-84x150.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0
i found a few apps that can supposedly do what i'm asking, but guess what......

they don't work with 2.3 :) i'm so glad i "upgraded"

i want to choke the the life out of the people at htc. :mad:

call me a conspiracy theorist, but i think they do this sh!+ to force you to root so they don't have to honor their warranty.

Upvote 0
when i pull my phone out of my pants pocket, it answers (and sometimes rejects, and sometimes simply locks-up) without me touching the screen. obviously, this is incredibly annoying to say the least.

anyways... i was wondering if there's some way to set the phone up to answer by hitting one of the physical buttons on the phone (such as the volume up/down or power button) instead of using (and preferably disabling) the touch screen?

ideally, i would like the option to stop the touchscreen from answering/declining a call until i press; volume-up to answer, or volume-down to decline.

thoughts?

Check into rooting your device and getting a different ROM. Some ROMs allow customization of the phone and will allow different ways of using the phone such as mine on the CyanogenMod 7 ROM is much much different than the stock ROM that came with the phone. Check out the "All Things Root" section if interested any further.

Might I suggest trying one of the following?
-Try grabbing the phone by its sides instead of grabbing the back and screen when pulling out of pocket.
-Possibly get a cover/belt carrying case, this way you won't be grabbing the screen and accidentally touching the screen's "buttons".

As far as having other physical buttons to answer the phone...I have not found any apps that would allow such a customization. Maybe you could even build your own app to suffice this if you don't mind putting in the time and effort! :) If serious, check into the Eclipse program for your computer or Google's AppInventor program.

You could also try complaining to Sprint. I know that often times, some Sprint employees get so aggravated that they will switch out phones or cancel contracts because a customer whines long enough. I doubt that they would switch your phone if it is older than 30 days, but you could always try! Tell them that you are tired of it answering and rejecting calls by itself. They may offer a solution or even be dumb enough to give you a replacement or choice of another phone lol

Upvote 0
Check into rooting your device and getting a different ROM. Some ROMs allow customization of the phone and will allow different ways of using the phone such as mine on the CyanogenMod 7 ROM is much much different than the stock ROM that came with the phone. Check out the "All Things Root" section if interested any further.
i'll root after my warranty runs out for sure.

Might I suggest trying one of the following?
-Try grabbing the phone by its sides instead of grabbing the back and screen when pulling out of pocket.
-Possibly get a cover/belt carrying case, this way you won't be grabbing the screen and accidentally touching the screen's "buttons".
i do grab the sides. it's apparently my leg swiping the screen through my pocket.

As far as having other physical buttons to answer the phone...I have not found any apps that would allow such a customization. Maybe you could even build your own app to suffice this if you don't mind putting in the time and effort! :) If serious, check into the Eclipse program for your computer or Google's AppInventor program.
will give it a look, but not feeling too confident.

You could also try complaining to Sprint. I know that often times, some Sprint employees get so aggravated that they will switch out phones or cancel contracts because a customer whines long enough. I doubt that they would switch your phone if it is older than 30 days, but you could always try! Tell them that you are tired of it answering and rejecting calls by itself. They may offer a solution or even be dumb enough to give you a replacement or choice of another phone lol
i'll definitely be getting a different phone when the contract runs out. i like the evo but think there is room for tons of improvements that other phone makers have addressed. thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones