• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Picked up the Desire Eye this weekend

I've used the Galaxy S4 over the past 18 months, but had constant hardware problems. After my 4th S4 started failing, I decided it was time to switch. I enjoyed the S4 when it worked, but I decided I'd pass on the S5 given my problems. So I was looking at the LG G3 and the HTC M8. I was a little worried about the G3 lagging over time, and I've always been intrigued by HTC, but the weak camera on the M8 was giving me pause. Then I saw the Desire Eye so I did a quick check on specs and saw it had a proper camera with pretty much all the other features/specs of the M8. So I decided to give it a try.

At first, I wasn't sure about the size. I liked the size of the S4, but it seems like you have to go with a larger size to get flagship features these days. And after a day or two, I grew to like the size. Next, I wanted to get one of those Dot View cases, but can't find them anywhere. Not even HTC has them in stock. I bought a knock off on ePrey, but even they are just ramping up on them, so I won't get it for a few weeks yet. I did find a case on Amazon by Mobi that's very nice black leather. and gives nice protection.

So far, the phone is great. Smooth as butter and battery life is very good. Ran all day yesterday and was at 48% when I turned it off last night before bed. That suits me well as I always power down/recharge overnight. The only hiccup I've had so far was trying to make a call from my car, but not sure if that was a car thing, a phone thing, or a combination. It only happened once and every other time it's worked as intended.

Camera is really nice, and I think it's better than the S4 camera. The front camera at 13mp with dual flash is nice, but I don't really take selfies, so it's a little superfluous. The only thing I don't like is the name - Desire Eye. I guess it's an indication of the marketing pitch, but it just sounds stupid to me, a middle-aged married man. So I just call it the DE.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones