• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Picking out a phone for a friend

Eckyx

Sep 11, 2010
I have a friend who's probably going to be getting a smartphone in the next few weeks. I realize dual core phones will be out first quarter next year, not sure how I feel about it. He doesn't really need a top end device, it will mostly be an MP3 player / web browser. He's usually unintentionally rough with his stuff, his last MP3 player got crushed in a car door, and he stepped on his headphones and broke them in half :p so a sturdy device would be nice. Phone will definitely get a case. He says he prefers a larger screen.

His family has AT&T, which leaves a very narrow selection of phones. Basically:

Samsung Captivate

Xperia x10

Motorola Bravo

The Nexus One is not an option, due to price, though it's a lovely phone. The Captivate has a large internal storage, and seems to get the most recommendations, but I can't see why I shouldn't recommend the Xperia to him instead. It has 384mb of ram and less internal storage, but I wonder if its advantages don't make up for that. It has a higher resolution screen, a higher resolution camera, LED flash, and I like the hardware buttons.

The Bravo seems like it wouldn't be bad, if the price were right.

I suppose the deciding factor is, which of these phones is most modder friendly? I absolutely love the billions of roms available for my Droid. Which of these phones has the largest modder community? Do any of them "unofficially" have Android 2.2 already? And which of them do you think will have 2.3 ported first?

I look forward to your advice!

Mmmmmk.
If your on att and cant switch, captivate is the way to go.
Has an amazing SUPER amoled screen, 1G Hummingbird processor, and freaking graphics like a madman.

The only downside to that phone, (in my opinion), is samsung.
I HATE sumsung. I really do.

Bad customer service, hardware, cheapness of the hardware and i really doubt they put too much time into making the phone..a good phone. If that makes sense.

Oh yeah, and samsung STILL hasent moved up to 2.2 BS right?

Does your friend want an android?
By all means, android schools the hell out of iphone, but if he/she is basic and doesnt need a bunch of widgets. Maybe the iphone?

I have the Captivate and the EVO 4G.
The EVO runs like its a computer, its insanely fast.
Opens all apps in like an instant.
If you have $200 and sprint, you cant pass on the evo.

BUT! A good suggestion is the aria!
Its not a super high in phone but holds its ground very well.

Has a good music player and browser, and is HTC sense and relativly cheap. Its kind of small, but still look into it.

Theres my 2cents:)

Upvote 0
I got my bravo for one cent... how's that for a right price?

Seriously though, go for the bravo, it doesn't have any of the bugs of the samsung, and I'm totally thrilled with mine.

Check out the reviews on the att site, i'm not the only one thrilled with it.

The only reason not to go with a bravo is if you need a phone with a great camera

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones