• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pics in Contacts...how to?

spyder560

Lurker
Jan 11, 2011
So I recently picked up the RAZR...great phone btw. I was looking through my Contacts and noticed some had pics next to them. I didn't set these..how did they do that?

I searched and the only thing I could find was logging into my Gmail account under Settings I noticed there was a place I could add My Picture. I did this and set Everyone to View as the setting but yet none of my friends can see my pic on their Contacts lists. So how is this done?

If you sync with Gmail and/or Facebook it automatically adds those contacts to your Contacts. Most of those will have the users' avatars from those accounts. For example, my Gmail avatar for chat/latitude is a beer. If we were contacts on Gmail, you'd see my name with a beer icon.

I did the exact same thing as you did, so not sure why people can't see you. Tell them to re-sync their Gmail contacts on their phone, maybe it just needs updating.

Upvote 0
If you sync with Gmail and/or Facebook it automatically adds those contacts to your Contacts. Most of those will have the users' avatars from those accounts. For example, my Gmail avatar for chat/latitude is a beer. If we were contacts on Gmail, you'd see my name with a beer icon.

I did the exact same thing as you did, so not sure why people can't see you. Tell them to re-sync their Gmail contacts on their phone, maybe it just needs updating.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it's weird..and yes I synced my phone Contacts. To do this I opened my Contacts go to Settings and then My Accounts, chose my Gmail account and ensured all boxes were checked and then clicked Sync now. Was this correct?

Under Gmail, in Account Settings, I just added a pic under My Picture. I didn't have to create a Public profile too did I?

I even added a Contact with my own name in my phone to see if the pic would show up and nothing.

Upvote 0
Your friends need to have their contacts syncing as well. If they dont have their phones syncing to Google contacts (for example, they're using iPhones and havent set this up), they wont see your Google pictures.

Personally, because people sometimes puts all sorts of weird stuff on their photos, I put their photos in myself on my Google Contacts.

Upvote 0
Your friends need to have their contacts syncing as well. If they dont have their phones syncing to Google contacts (for example, they're using iPhones and havent set this up), they wont see your Google pictures.

Personally, because people sometimes puts all sorts of weird stuff on their photos, I put their photos in myself on my Google Contacts.

Right, I made sure of this also. I took my co-worker's phone and forced synced it myself and still couldn't see my pic on his Contacts list.
Does it take a few days for replication or something? I added my pic lastnight (Wed)

Upvote 0
Right, I made sure of this also. I took my co-worker's phone and forced synced it myself and still couldn't see my pic on his Contacts list.
Does it take a few days for replication or something? I added my pic lastnight (Wed)

It may be that his contact of you (in his Gmail account) hasnt yet connected/found your Google profile, so the pic isnt getting downloaded yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones