1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

PIM/calendar/task app with web (cloud) interface?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by New Daddy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Newbie

I'm transitioning from WM to Android.

With WM, one of the many shortcomings was the lack of a PIM (personal information management) app/service that stores data on the cloud and makes them accessible with a web-browser and mobile device apps. I prefer the functionality of a desktop computer to a mobile device but I also need to access my data with my iPad or smart phone when I'm out and about.

G-mail makes emails seamlessly accessible from any desktop with an internet connection, my i-Pad and my smart phone. The interface for each device is also excellent.

But for PIM (calendar and tasks to be more specific), this was not easy. I use Microsoft Outlook to manage my schedule and tasks, but first of all, it doesn't store the data on cloud. That means I could only use my own desktop, not any desktop with an internet connection, to manage the data. That means mobile access was also limited both temporally and mechanically; your data is only as current as the most recent sync, and sync is very difficult across more than one mobile device. I tried Google calendar and tasks, but they were vastly lacking from a WM user's perspective. Sync between Google calendar and Outlook was messy, and there is no WM app for Google calendar/tasks.

So, with these goals in mind, is there any Android PIM service/app that will perfectly suit my needs?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

The default Android calendar syncs with Google calendar nicely. Tasks not so much. There are a few alternative task apps out there that are quite nice though. Astrid for one. Evernote, One note, Note everything also good. And I personally really like pure grid calendar widget.

When you say you use outlook for email what do you mean though? Is this a work email address on an exchange server? Or do you use outlook to download mail from a pop3 or imap account?

3. New Daddy

New Daddy Newbie

I could likve with Google Calendar, although its functionality really leaves a lot to be desired for a person coming from MS Outlook. Google Tasks is simply unusable.

So, all those alternative task apps provide some kind of server/cloud service, so you can access and modify them anywhere, be it from a internet-connected desktop or a mobile device, and keep them synchronized real-time? That would be great!

I meant I use Outlook as MS exchange server client + IMAP client. It handles all my work emails (MS exchange server) and personal emails (gmail).