1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General PIN Required for Additional Security

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edembert, May 10, 2016.

1. edembert

edembert Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    I have my phone configured to unlock via fingerprint, but now whenever I lock the screen using Screen Off and Lock, it makes me enter my PIN as well and says "PIN required for additional security". If I use the power button or the screen times-out then I can just use my fingerprint as normal, so it seems like it is the Screen Off and Lock causing the issue.

I just received the OTA update from Verizon last night and today is the first time I've had this issue. Anybody know how to remove the requirement to enter a PIN on top of my fingerprint?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s7-update/

Advertisement

2. Money_Mark

Money_Mark Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 23, 2011
    Nor. Cal
    I believe it is because a PIN needs to be set-up as a backup to your fingerprint. Set-up a pin, but use your fingerprint as primary. This confused me at first, also. I relized I needed a PIN after doing some work inside our pool and my fingers became soggy from the water. My fingerprints were no good, but my backup pin gave me access.

MM

3. edembert

edembert Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    Thanks MM. I have a pin set up already and it typically would only require it when it couldn't read my fingerprints. Now, even if it recognizes my fingerprint, it still requires a PIN to be entered too. Kind of defeats the purpose of having fingerprint unlock.

4. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    It should only require a pin after a restart. Once the pin has been entered, barring a restart, the fingerprint should work to unlock the phone by itself. Apparently they believe that a pin provides better security than the fingerprint unlock.

5. edembert

edembert Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    Yeah the settings still say the PIN should only be needed after the phone restarts or it's idle for 24 hours, but it's definitely not following those rules for some reason.

6. MisterEd51

MisterEd51 Newbie
    None

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    I found that after I changed "Secured lock time" to "Instantly with power key" the PIN was only required if I hadn't use the phone for a long time. I also have to use the PIN after the phone was powered up after a complete shutdown.

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    From what I can tell, it's because the OP is using a third party app to turn off screen.

8. edembert

edembert Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    Tried removing Screen Off and Lock so I can't use any 3rd party software. Still having the same issue intermittently. I haven't been able to find any pattern causing it. Sometimes it happens immediately after I turn off the screen, sometimes I can wait for a while without it happening.

Only thing I've been able to figure out is it's most likely related to the Verizon update that just came out since I didn't have this problem before it, and started having it immediately after. Either that or it's a coincidence.

9. edembert

edembert Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2014
  10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Not exactly Nova, but from reading, ANY APP that you use to lock the screen, then it uses the password. Doubt they'll "fix" this as this seems to be enhanced security. Basically, just use the power button to lock.

11. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    My screen off n on app/widget almost works, as far as allowing only my fingerpint to unlock again. But if i click on a notification from the lockscreen to open the app, then the PIN is required.

If i lock using the power button then everything works from my fingerprint.

I use Nova, so doubt its anything to do with that.

12. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    It's funny how US carriers are competing to mess up our phones. On my AT&T ruined S7 edge the following holds true: –

If I press the power key, all it does is turn the screen off and I have to use a swipe to turn it on.
    If I press the power key and wait long enough for phone to lock, I need just a fingerprint to turn it on.
    If I leave the phone off for an extended 24+ hours, I need to enter the pin to turn it on.
    If I restart the phone I need to enter the pin to turn it on.

Is it different on the Verizon and other international phones?

13. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Power key on mine locks it immediately.
    I don't have to swipe to turn the screen on, ever. Fingerprint only.

I have to enter my PIN once after each restart, that's standard Marshmallow security across all devices i believe. But not to turn it on.

#13 bIOforger, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  14. bhl62

bhl62 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 19, 2010
    I updated the firmware more than a week back but this behavior of always asking for the unlock password started yesterday after I enabled 'on-body' detection to test it. I've been getting the prompt for password when the phone is put down for a while (even within 10-15 minutes) so presumably the way that feature turns on the lock is similar to the way 3rd party apps work. I turned it off but got the same prompt so rebooted and now it seems to be happy with the fingerprint.

EDIT: Still insisting that the phone was just rebooted so needs the password, so something has probably changed in a recent security update that has changed how this works. Bummer!!

#14 bhl62, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  15. edembert

edembert Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    Realized I also had to turn off AC Display. Even though it's not locking the screen I guess it's still a lock screen app. Would be curious if other lock screen apps had the same issue. It's unfortunate because AC Display and Screen Off and Lock are probably the 2 apps I used the most.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.