• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PIN Required for Additional Security

edembert

Nov 12, 2014
I have my phone configured to unlock via fingerprint, but now whenever I lock the screen using Screen Off and Lock, it makes me enter my PIN as well and says "PIN required for additional security". If I use the power button or the screen times-out then I can just use my fingerprint as normal, so it seems like it is the Screen Off and Lock causing the issue.

I just received the OTA update from Verizon last night and today is the first time I've had this issue. Anybody know how to remove the requirement to enter a PIN on top of my fingerprint?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s7-update/

I believe it is because a PIN needs to be set-up as a backup to your fingerprint. Set-up a pin, but use your fingerprint as primary. This confused me at first, also. I relized I needed a PIN after doing some work inside our pool and my fingers became soggy from the water. My fingerprints were no good, but my backup pin gave me access.

MM

Upvote 0
Thanks MM. I have a pin set up already and it typically would only require it when it couldn't read my fingerprints. Now, even if it recognizes my fingerprint, it still requires a PIN to be entered too. Kind of defeats the purpose of having fingerprint unlock.
I found that after I changed "Secured lock time" to "Instantly with power key" the PIN was only required if I hadn't use the phone for a long time. I also have to use the PIN after the phone was powered up after a complete shutdown.

Upvote 0
Tried removing Screen Off and Lock so I can't use any 3rd party software. Still having the same issue intermittently. I haven't been able to find any pattern causing it. Sometimes it happens immediately after I turn off the screen, sometimes I can wait for a while without it happening.

Only thing I've been able to figure out is it's most likely related to the Verizon update that just came out since I didn't have this problem before it, and started having it immediately after. Either that or it's a coincidence.

Upvote 0
My screen off n on app/widget almost works, as far as allowing only my fingerpint to unlock again. But if i click on a notification from the lockscreen to open the app, then the PIN is required.

If i lock using the power button then everything works from my fingerprint.

I use Nova, so doubt its anything to do with that.

Upvote 0
I updated the firmware more than a week back but this behavior of always asking for the unlock password started yesterday after I enabled 'on-body' detection to test it. I've been getting the prompt for password when the phone is put down for a while (even within 10-15 minutes) so presumably the way that feature turns on the lock is similar to the way 3rd party apps work. I turned it off but got the same prompt so rebooted and now it seems to be happy with the fingerprint.

EDIT: Still insisting that the phone was just rebooted so needs the password, so something has probably changed in a recent security update that has changed how this works. Bummer!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones