• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PINK SLIME: I May Never Eat Another Burger

Aww, I just saw that video on the news, so sweet.
Was thinking about this yesterday when I was grinding beef at work. Honestly, I just can't believe companies are saving a ton of money by incorporating up to 15% of this crap into ground beef (again, it's probably trying to squeeze out as much as possible from the cow).

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to get a handle on what's so "gross" about a meat product added to meat, beyond the (usual) media hyperbolic nonsense name, "pink slime" (coined by a lab worker).

It's just mostly connective tissue, which is a portion of any steak cut with the bone in. It's treated specially to remove bacteria because it is gathered off the cutting tables, instead of going through with the main parts being cut from the carcasses.

Reactions: mike114
Upvote 0
I'm still trying to get a handle on what's so "gross" about a meat product added to meat, beyond the (usual) media hyperbolic nonsense name, "pink slime" (coined by a lab worker).

It's just mostly connective tissue, which is a portion of any steak cut with the bone in. It's treated specially to remove bacteria because it is gathered off the cutting tables, instead of going through with the main parts being cut from the carcasses.

It probably has to do with the type of chemical it's treated with, and it doesn't help Pink Slime's cause that it has a history of being used in dog food.

I think if we actually knew what is involved in the processing of our food supply, we'd probably start growing our own food. But for whatever reason, someone decided that Pink Slime was worth taking a 2nd look at.

Upvote 0
In addition to the documentary already mentioned (Food Inc) check out "King Corn", "The Future of Food" and "The World According to Monsanto" which can be watched free online:

Documentary Film Video Documentary About Monsanto

Monsanto's GMO corn cross-pollinates into corn-fields that aren't using Monsanto's product, the owner's of these cross-pollinated corn fields are then sued out of business by Monsanto whom employs a team of people to go onto farmers' property and test for any evidence of their GMO corn.

The GMO corn can't even be eaten in it's freshly grown state, it is produced solely to make corn syrup which is an ingredient in just about every product on your supermarket's shelf.

We have so much corn that without the government subsidy to farmers, it costs more to grow corn than it's worth. Which leads to needing more uses for the corn than food; enter ethanol (another subject worthy of it's own thread).

Monsanto's effect on the world's food supply and health is mind-boggling and frightening.

Monsanto's Government Ties

Clarence Thomas who was a Monsanto attorney, the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture (Anne Veneman) was on the Board of Directors of Monsanto's Calgene Corporation, the two congressmen receiving the most donations from Monsanto during that election cycle were Larry Combest (Chairman of the House Agricultural Committee) and Attorney General John Ashcroft. (Source: Dairy Education Board).

Some of the people that work for Monsanto go on to careers in the Federal govt (like the FDA) where they can continue working for Monsanto.

From a Monsanto in-house newsletter in 2000:

"Agricultural biotechnology will find a supporter occupying the White House next year, regardless of which candidate wins the election in November"

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
I didn't read this whole thread, and I don't eat pink slime lol. HOWEVER its a freaking recipe....if chipotle came out with a video showing the steak as green slime with pimple ooze look alike all in it who cares? Its still tasty steak when I eat it :). It's a recipe people, get real, your cell phones level of bacteria is 10xs more disgusting.

Upvote 0
Naaah, i still caints chokes down the slime....
pain.jpg

Upvote 0
I didn't read this whole thread, and I don't eat pink slime lol. HOWEVER its a freaking recipe....if chipotle came out with a video showing the steak as green slime with pimple ooze look alike all in it who cares? Its still tasty steak when I eat it :). It's a recipe people, get real, your cell phones level of bacteria is 10xs more disgusting.
The main problem is there's really no way to know if you're eating it or not, since they don't have to disclose whether its an ingredient or not. (unless you just stop eating anything with ground beef in it altogether.)

Upvote 0
True. And whats even more scary is some of these burger joints, grocery stores etc..may just "say" theyve ceased from purchasing and selling products with PINK SLIME, for the sake of "damage control" and get that dollar flowing in again.

Those "big cheeses" or "big slimes" at FDA or whomever they wer that appeard in interviews on the national news and Good Morning "AMERCIA" (..as romney sells it...) were the most unprofessional interviews ever. With their argumental tone and "you eat it because we say so" attitude, that alone woulld make me not buy ground beef again....

Appeared they were mad as hale and "fit to be tied" (what does that expression mean?)..when this story was getting national neadlines and the industry noticed a slump in $$...my guess is these "cheeses" got stock intrests in the slime and it hurt their pockets. Let THEM eat it..

Upvote 0
Yes that is definitely a fact! I.bet they havent had "ground beef" every since theyve become one of "the elite"....this one "damage control" interview showed the "woofpack" of elite standimg in their white lab coats in front of national news cameras to "take one for the gang"...hah, they each took their verg first ever "token bite" of pink slime..betcha when the cams stopped recordimg, they ran to the executive rest rooms and gargled, induced spew, gargled and repeated the process several times.

I stopped eating.ground chum..i mean, beef too! I think WENDYS was trying to "tell us something" back in the day but took till NOW to see the light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0

Upvote 0
In addition to the documentary already mentioned (Food Inc) check out "King Corn", "The Future of Food" and "The World According to Monsanto" which can be watched free online:

Documentary Film Video Documentary About Monsanto

Monsanto's GMO corn cross-pollinates into corn-fields that aren't using Monsanto's product, the owner's of these cross-pollinated corn fields are then sued out of business by Monsanto whom employs a team of people to go onto farmers' property and test for any evidence of their GMO corn.

The GMO corn can't even be eaten in it's freshly grown state, it is produced solely to make corn syrup which is an ingredient in just about every product on your supermarket's shelf.

We have so much corn that without the government subsidy to farmers, it costs more to grow corn than it's worth. Which leads to needing more uses for the corn than food; enter ethanol (another subject worthy of it's own thread).

Monsanto's effect on the world's food supply and health is mind-boggling and frightening.

Monsanto's Government Ties

Clarence Thomas who was a Monsanto attorney, the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture (Anne Veneman) was on the Board of Directors of Monsanto's Calgene Corporation, the two congressmen receiving the most donations from Monsanto during that election cycle were Larry Combest (Chairman of the House Agricultural Committee) and Attorney General John Ashcroft. (Source: Dairy Education Board).

Some of the people that work for Monsanto go on to careers in the Federal govt (like the FDA) where they can continue working for Monsanto.

From a Monsanto in-house newsletter in 2000:

"Agricultural biotechnology will find a supporter occupying the White House next year, regardless of which candidate wins the election in November"

As an ag business student and living on a farm and bieng around farms my whole life, i believe anybody can be sued for cross pollination of any plant threw any company if it happens before they release the actual plant variety. They select a few famers to test seed and also produce seed for selling and when they (the farmers) are told said rules of this operation.

As for farm subsidys on about 2% of all farm bills are truely production oriented. The remaining 98%goes to things like food stamps and other things like such. It only makes since to use corn as efficently as possible doesnt it. If i remeber correctly the break even for raising corn is typically one of the lower break evens of most crops next to soybeans.

Upvote 0
Quad, I am sure you have seen frst hand how such restrictions or investigations effcts the farming industry at a ground-zero level. Does the avg farmer have any input oi r control over how they choos to raise poultry or beef that the govt rejects and provide guidelines sometimes not acceptible by the farmar?

As far as the meat industry goes im not 100% sure with the regulations and such since im in the wheat capital of the world sumner county ks im surounded by farmers not much beef producing going on. However i know as far as farming goes to qualify for gov support you have to maintain 35% ground residue and have crops planted by a certain date to qualify.

As far as practices not acceptable by the farmer with beef i think most ranchers are not only in it for profit but would be more than willing to adjust their practices if the results. are a safer/ethical. If they fail to meet guidelines be it disease or what have you thats something that just has to be delt with by the farmer. If it causes them to go out of business then thats just the nature of the ag game. Its a huge gamble alot of these big farms and ranches are playing. Ag bills have takin a huge step to protect these outfits but sometimesnits not enough.

Hopefully thats what you were looking for?

Upvote 0
These farmers are being sued out of existence for something that is not their fault. The old timers who refuse to go along with using Monsanto Roundup/Roundup resistant seeds are then paid visits by intimidating ex military types who try to strong arm them into using the products. If they still don't play along, they are hit with aggressive lawsuits because some of their neighbors seeds blew over their fence. No way you can justify these tactics.

Upvote 0
I looked it up and all Pink Slime is, is Lean, Finely Textured Beef. The press took hold of it's unfortunate name and the public got upset. Pink Slime or LFTB is not new, it has been around in one form or another for quite some time. (2002)

I think there was a little pink slime in my homemade sausage.

I am not surprised the press reports such things because they all seem to want to hate beef.

Apparently, meat trimmings and other beefy goodness is placed in a centrifuge and heated to remove fat. The mix is then exposed to gas or acids to kill the bacteria. That's it, just beef for the most part.

I think people would be amazed to learn just how many caustics and poisons are used to make things like Hominy or Maraschino Cherries or their favorites. Or what they would think if they learned that the USDA allows a certain amount of bug parts in processed foods. And how can they allow the little red strands sometimes seen in canned chili, which are blood vessels?

Shellac and wax is used to make many of the things we love and no problems. Propylene Glycol is added to food; cyanide and PG is found in chocolate, naturally. Cochineal dye from little bugs is a popular red food coloring. Lots of stuff is added to food with little to no evil effects.

Upvote 0
I stopped eating.ground chum..i mean, beef too! I think WENDYS was trying to "tell us something" back in the day but took till NOW to see the lighthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0

Grind your own beef or buy good meat and have your butcher grind it for you. Remember that when you purchase a ground beef, the beef can come from several different cows. This is especially true in the case of Wendy's or McDonalds. This is why eating raw ground beef is a problem.

Grind your own and you will not have problems. Or find a good butcher you can trust. I make my own sausage becaue I can control the spices and fat content.

Upvote 0
As far as practices not acceptable by the farmer with beef i think most ranchers are not only in it for profit but would be more than willing to adjust their practices if the results. are a safer/ethical.

Not sure I agree. We now know what the addition of antibiotics has done to the resistance of common disease causing organisms; it has made many of them highly resistant to drugs. This is why a hospital visit can result in death caused by pneumonia, serratia and staph.

The big meat producers know this, yet many still add antibiotics to the feed.

When I was a kid, a shot of penicillin was highly effective. Now, far less so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones