• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PINK SLIME: I May Never Eat Another Burger

The main problem is there's really no way to know if you're eating it or not, since they don't have to disclose whether its an ingredient or not. (unless you just stop eating anything with ground beef in it altogether.)

People do not understand their food. They order plastic burgers and greasy fries through a clown's mouth and delivered in a petrochemical based polymer container.

What do you think of when I say Vine Ripened Tomatoes? The law says if there is any trace of red at the time it is picked, it can be called "vine ripened." Most people think vine ripened tomatoes are red and lovely when picked. The fruit is green fruit ripened in a gas chamber.

I posted what pink slime is a bit earlier. Nothing to be scared of in my view. Disgusting when called "slime" to be sure.

Food processors are allows to include a certain percentage of bug parts in your food and lots of caustic chemicals are used to process food. Like maraschino cherries and olives. And remember, all food is organic food.

Grow your own if you are concerned. And never visit an egg processing plant or large slaughter house if you ever want to have ham and eggs again.

Upvote 0
Buy fresh beef and grind it yourself, add a little salt & pepper and some egg to bind it all together, shape into 4oz patties and grill it. Perfect burgers with no junk.

I also make my bread with certified organic stone-ground unbleached flour (white or wholewheat). and I've started growing my own Veggies.

And when you grind your own beef, you can cook rare burgers with less fear over contamination because the meat comes from one specific animal rather than perhaps dozens of different animals in the case of most hamburger.

Upvote 0

And when you grind your own beef, you can cook rare burgers with less fear over contamination because the meat comes from one specific animal rather than perhaps dozens of different animals in the case of most hamburger.

I don't eat red meat but one of my kids does and so I get a chunk of sirloin and grind it at home all the hoping that it is not going to be more and more for him . For now it is about one time a week after a game maybe. The pink slime thing were they doing that all along and then it came out so now people taste it and didn't before?

Upvote 0
It probably has to do with the type of chemical it's treated with, and it doesn't help Pink Slime's cause that it has a history of being used in dog food.

Vegetables and corn and lamb and beef and other things have been used in dog food for a long time. Not sure what difference it makes that pink slime is also used in dog food.

Again, PS is not a bad thing. the name is unfortunate and the press loves to scare people with sensationalism.

What needs to be happen is we grind up all of the PITA members and put that in dog food.

Upvote 0
People do not understand their food. They order plastic burgers and greasy fries through a clown's mouth and delivered in a petrochemical based polymer container.

What do you think of when I say Vine Ripened Tomatoes? The law says if there is any trace of red at the time it is picked, it can be called "vine ripened." Most people think vine ripened tomatoes are red and lovely when picked. The fruit is green fruit ripened in a gas chamber.

I posted what pink slime is a bit earlier. Nothing to be scared of in my view. Disgusting when called "slime" to be sure.

Food processors are allows to include a certain percentage of bug parts in your food and lots of caustic chemicals are used to process food. Like maraschino cherries and olives. And remember, all food is organic food.

Grow your own if you are concerned. And never visit an egg processing plant or large slaughter house if you ever want to have ham and eggs again.
The name "lean finely textured ground beef" is as much propaganda as the name "pink slime" is. Its basically the trash meat they used to throw away, now they treat it with ammonia and serve it in school lunches. You are correct about the tomatoes, chicken farms and eggs. All that is covered in the movie "Food, Inc" mentioned earlier in the thread. I highly recommend everyone to watch it.

Upvote 0
The name "lean finely textured ground beef" is as much propaganda as the name "pink slime" is. Its basically the trash meat they used to throw away, now they treat it with ammonia and serve it in school lunches. You are correct about the tomatoes, chicken farms and eggs. All that is covered in the movie "Food, Inc" mentioned earlier in the thread. I highly recommend everyone to watch it.

Before I would recommend the movie, I would learn something about food and how it is grown. Lots of questions left unanswered by the film. Apparently, Eric makes statements then discredits them in the next few moments.

I have NOT seen the movie but I know people who have and those in the business do not agree and some who do not know are bothered without knowing some facts. I have faith in our food. We feed the world and we know how to grow the stuff. I do not need to see a movie filled with holes; if I want holes, I'll buy some good Swiss cheese.

Here is one writer's review of the movie; take it for whatever it is worth:

Food Inc. Review

also go here:

Myths & Facts

Food, like politics, is complicated. There are those that only eat certain things, thinking everything else is going to kill them. There are those that eat and love every one of God's critters. I am in that camp.

Lots of ideas about how the family farm has gone away (it has not really gone away, it has gotten larger and it produces better food for less cost and more often) and lots of fear over additives. There are organic Vs something else. Can't really call the non-organic food inorganic.

All food is organic and most pesticides are also organic. Not sure if there are many inorganic pesticides out there. Remember, everything containing carbon is organic. Without preservitives, we woulds likely starve. We need them as much as we need fertilizers.

There is local produce--always a good value and a great idea. A stand near me sells locally grown food; they specialize in local food stuffs. Come to find out, their wares are mostly imported stuff. I guess Argentina is local from the perspective of most Argentinians.

Food, Inc wants critters raised free range. Clearly impossible for many reasons. It would mean less critters for the table. Review the second link above and look at a few facts after you see Food, Inc. Then decide if the film should be dismissed or not.

Take films like Food, Inc with a grain of salt. Just because it sounds right, it might not be one bit accurate.

Upvote 0
I don't eat red meat but one of my kids does and so I get a chunk of sirloin and grind it at home all the hoping that it is not going to be more and more for him . For now it is about one time a week after a game maybe. The pink slime thing were they doing that all along and then it came out so now people taste it and didn't before?

Learn what PS is and you will have fewer fears. It is good you grind your own burger meat. You can also add seasonings. Next, I suggest making your own sausage.

Upvote 0
Learn what PS is and you will have fewer fears. It is good you grind your own burger meat. You can also add seasonings. Next, I suggest making your own sausage.

When you mentioned "throw-away fat" , that reminds me why I don't eat baloney, weiners, or Underwood Deviled Ham (aka...."potted meat")
deviledham.JPG

Even the name "potted meat" got a slime'esc sound to it...whew!

Upvote 0
Any time you can literally "spread the 'meat' on a slice of bread with a spoon,....you're eating 100% pure unadulterated PRIME-SLIME!

This is.....MEAT?

The government decides what is meat. Or vegetables. What they decide might not seem logical to most people. Food labeling is tricky. Green tomatoes with just a blush of red are legally considered vine ripened. I disagree; they are green tomatoes, still, not vine ripened.

They also decide that those little red strings in your canned chilie (blood vessels) are acceptable as is a certain percentage of bug parts in other products we love.

I make chicken salad that is spreadable. That is meat. Or perhaps poultry spread. I do make ham spreads from time to time.

As for Deviled Ham being potted meat, I disagree. DH is in a class all its own. Certainly not potted meat.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
The government decides what is meat. Or vegetables. What they decide might not seem logical to most people. Food labeling is tricky. Green tomatoes with just a blush of red are legally considered vine ripened. I disagree; they are green tomatoes, still, not vine ripened.

They also decide that those little red strings in your canned chilie (blood vessels) are acceptable as is a certain percentage of bug parts in other products we love.

I make chicken salad that is spreadable. That is meat. Or perhaps poultry spread. I do make ham spreads from time to time.

As for Deviled Ham being potted meat, I disagree. DH is in a class all its own. Certainly not potted meat.

When you say you make your own chicken "spread" are you pure

Upvote 0
Okie dokie! You made me H U N G R Y! describing that "Dagwood Special". Yep I can go for one nof those chicken sandwitches on bread (sourdough or foccaciaare y favs)......i just cant intake a spreaded "meat" that feels like jello pudding in da mouf..

Now...as far as the rest of your response......im almost afraid of food .again..
Perry3.jpg

Upvote 0
Okie dokie! You made me H U N G R Y! describing that "Dagwood Special". Yep I can go for one nof those chicken sandwitches on bread (sourdough or foccaciaare y favs)......i just cant intake a spreaded "meat" that feels like jello pudding in da mouf..

Now...as far as the rest of your response......im almost afraid of food .again..
Perry3.jpg

Why do I find that picture so wrong . . . so terribly, terribly wrong?

Never watch hotdogs being made if you love hotdogs. Perhaps avoid all processing plants while you are at it.

Upvote 0
Why do I find that picture so wrong . . . so terribly, terribly wrong?

Never watch hotdogs being made if you love hotdogs. Perhaps avoid all processing plants while you are at it.

That pic is soooo Rick Perry! Since he oops infront of the world when he said he would do away with education "if he was elected prez", he is sooo wrong....so that pic is "Soooo Rick - Sooo Wrong"

Whew I dont even go near weiners, balogna, none of that "throw away scraps..

See THATS ANOTHER RANT: the gub tells us what to wear and turn around feeding us big ppart, rodent pieces and throw-away scraps.. And they wanna take MY SHASTA! aint gonna happn

Upvote 0
That pic is soooo Rick Perry! Since he oops infront of the world when he said he would do away with education "if he was elected prez", he is sooo wrong....so that pic is "Soooo Rick - Sooo Wrong"

Whew I dont even go near weiners, balogna, none of that "throw away scraps..

See THATS ANOTHER RANT: the gub tells us what to wear and turn around feeding us big ppart, rodent pieces and throw-away scraps.. And they wanna take MY SHASTA! aint gonna happn

Did you hear about the man that was in deep trouble for violating ICS regs? Apparently--and as the tale goes--his mistake was in growing vegetables in his garden. The Interstate Commerce Department said essentially this: since you grow your own food, you are denying some trucker or supermarket some profits because you are not buying produce from the grocery.

The ICS is a curious group. Everyone here violates some foreigh law tied to provisions of the ICS. So what (apparently) is legal here is perhaps illegal in another country but you can be punished here for your lawlessness. Or something like that.

My brain is foggy from all the MSG in my Moo Goo Gai Pan or perhaps my order of Quy ching mooshoo gong eggplant.

I once use to joke about suing GM for producing quality vehicles. Because they were well-made and safe, they denied me of the opportunity to sue for damages, therefore, costing me potential settlement cash. Perhaps that might work today, owing to the crazy nature of this country at this moment.

Peoples . . . watch out for those bans and regulations. We are heading towards a huge problem we cannot begin to understand. And do not fret the pink slime, it won't kill ya.

Upvote 0
Did you hear about the man that was in deep trouble for violating ICS regs? Apparently--and as the tale goes--his mistake was in growing vegetables in his garden. The Interstate Commerce Department said essentially this: since you grow your own food, you are denying some trucker or supermarket some profits because you are not buying produce from the grocery.

The ICS is a curious group. Everyone here violates some foreigh law tied to provisions of the ICS. So what (apparently) is legal here is perhaps illegal in another country but you can be punished here for your lawlessness. Or something like that.

My brain is foggy from all the MSG in my Moo Goo Gai Pan or perhaps my order of Quy ching mooshoo gong eggplant.

I once use to joke about suing GM for producing quality vehicles. Because they were well-made and safe, they denied me of the opportunity to sue for damages, therefore, costing me potential settlement cash. Perhaps that might work today, owing to the crazy nature of this country at this moment.

Peoples . . . watch out for those bans and regulations. We are heading towards a huge problem we cannot begin to understand. And do not fret the pink slime, it won't kill ya.

You have GOT to be kidding me. ICS actually went affer a private citizen who did what anybody would do if they had a piece of good dirt and conscious about what they consume so they grow their own produce? Now that is waaaay too far. Thatwould make me boil (or plant the ics rep in the ground with the tomatoes when they come snooping around)...talk about some plump JOOSIE ripe monster,maters with "all that fertizer".

That really crossing th ev line fining someone because they opt out of the "system".. Oh I do like the GM suitx count me in! Why cant they do something abiut drunk drivers and panzy-svammers and the likes and let us take care of whaf we grow....(hmmm neighbor.s growing brownies out back....well...ingredients fer a batch...lol)

The moo-goo-guy pan got me HUNGRY again....im trying to stay in that "happy place" before I think about some rancid food again....DANG IT! IT happened .
dberry1.jpg

Upvote 0
You have GOT to be kidding me. ICS actually went affer a private citizen who did what anybody would do if they had a piece of good dirt and conscious about what they consume so they grow their own produce? Now that is waaaay too far. Thatwould make me boil (or plant the ics rep in the ground with the tomatoes when they come snooping around)...talk about some plump JOOSIE ripe monster,maters with "all that fertizer".

That really crossing th ev line fining someone because they opt out of the "system".. Oh I do like the GM suitx count me in! Why cant they do something abiut drunk drivers and panzy-svammers and the likes and let us take care of whaf we grow....(hmmm neighbor.s growing brownies out back....well...ingredients fer a batch...lol)

The moo-goo-guy pan got me HUNGRY again....im trying to stay in that "happy place" before I think about some rancid food again....DANG IT! IT happened .

I will try to find the story.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Yes, it would be interesting reading fir sure. But at the same time shows that looks like the org need heavy restrictions imposed on them. It sounds out of control when organizations has too much power dictating how we eat, breath and sleep.

I don't know if it's the same case that he is talking about, but if not the legal reasoning behind it is certainly related to the landmark Wickard v. Filburn Supreme Court decision.

Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942), was a United States Supreme Court decision that recognized the power of the federal government to regulate economic activity.
A farmer, Roscoe Filburn, was growing wheat for on-farm consumption. The U.S. government had established limits on wheat production based on acreage owned by a farmer, in order to drive up wheat prices during the Great Depression, and Filburn was growing more than the limits permitted. Filburn was ordered to destroy his crops and pay a fine, even though he was producing the excess wheat for his own use and had no intention of selling it.
The Supreme Court interpreted the United States Constitution's Commerce Clause under Article 1 Section 8, which permits the United States Congress "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes". The Court decided that Filburn's wheat growing activities reduced the amount of wheat he would buy for chicken feed on the open market, and because wheat was traded nationally, Filburn's production of more wheat than he was allotted was affecting interstate commerce. Thus, Filburn's production could be regulated by the federal government.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it's the same case that he is talking about, but if not the legal reasoning behind it is certainly related to the landmark Wickard v. Filburn Supreme Court decision.

W H A T - A - CRYNG SHAME! To literally read that article and realize our own govt and commerce system saw, all alongw, opportunities to relieve the effects of the depression of the 1930's but , instead, CONTRIBUTED to worsening the economy, literally responsible for inflated prices and fined agheyencies or individuals if they grew and produced food over "a u.s. quota"? Did I read it right that a person would be fined if they offered aid to indians?

Upvote 0

W H A T - A - CRYNG SHAME! To literally read that article and realize our own govt and commerce system saw, all alongw, opportunities to relieve the effects of the depression of the 1930's but , instead, CONTRIBUTED to worsening the economy, literally responsible for inflated prices and fined agheyencies or individuals if they grew and produced food over "a u.s. quota"? Did I read it right that a person would be fined if they offered aid to indians?

Basically, while the country starved, lost land and homes, families were dismantled, children separated from families and lived in soup-lines and alleys, our elected PUBLIC SERVANTS "humbly" ate well and stayed "plump" dining from the "cream of the crops", no doubt.

Sad%2520depression.jpg

Upvote 0
Just watched an interesting story on 60 Minutes about the "flavorizing" of our foods. Anybody else catch it?

I would have liked to see that but didn't know it was on! Spill the "flavored" beens! What were some things fda is approving? What gets me (semi-rant) is how the fda and "regulators" approve, pass with a Grade-A and force consumers to chew and swallow stuff we probably wouldnt feed to a dog....and yet, they go further and restrict kids from bringing home-lunches. But now, Flavorizing a rotten egg to taste like a banana has gone too far! :D

I know locally we have this whole-food store FILLED with every sort of "oversmell" that makes yo almost impulse-buy. I mean, walk by the the apples display and you'd think you are in an acual orchard followed by the scent of Granny's homemade hot apple pie! Then walk pass other produfe and get a scent of what we think the product would taste like.

Okay, heres wharr I could "see" some "fda help" with flavorizing: here I go down the banana display (and you KNOW you loved mama's banana puding! ) Being the monkey boi that I "is"...I went "APE SCHICK!" all-up-in-there! I mean, senses-overload made me bring home so many bananas like I was stocking a fallout shelter so to survive the iminent Bananageddon! When I got home with my truckload and peeled one of them sweet-home morselsx,...i said WHAT!...started peeling one after the other...NARRY A ONE tasted like what the store mad them smell... So "this time only", would I have appreciated some "fda approved 'whole-food natural-artifical-synthetic-soybean-based imitation banana flavorizing' just' so I wouldnt feel ive wasted money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones