• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pissed at Best Buy.....

I think its stupid people have to refer to their "post count." Anyone can go to as many threads as they can and say a bunch of BS and come up with a post count of 20,000. Post count doesn't mean shit. Post counts also include the little threads you're trolling as well, it doesn't ignore it.

I was in the same situation, I got a launch day phone, couple weeks later called Best Buy, they were out of stock, called few days later, same thing. Told them to call me back when they had Evo's in stock. Waited the next 5 days. Called them, still out. Never got a call back and the 30 days is up.

Now I don't know who's fault it is, Best buy for not ordering it? Or sprint for whatever reason? or HTC since they're making a boatload of phones for everyone at the same time and have to spread out the production, and/or fixing the current problems with the Evo.

Best Buy should have done something - they took the order, they should be responsible for servicing it. Sprint may have been easier for finding a resolution, but as a last resort. But alas, Best Buy is only worried about itself - do you think they make more money giving you a replacement EVO or selling a new EVO to a new customer?

Upvote 0
I would like to remind everyone that this thread has a topic. The OP put that topic in the very first post for your convenience. If you do not wish to discuss this topic there are plenty of other out there that you can post in.

I would also like to point out that the OP is upset and is more or less ranting about his experience. He may be looking for advice, but I seriously doubt he is looking for any Monday morning quarterbacks to tell him where he went wrong and how often. What's done is done and there is no need to make matters any worse. Either post positive and helpful information or simply don't post.

BTW, Putty I would like to point out that HTC typically has a 1 year warranty on their products. This can usually be handled via the retailer (VZW, Sprint, etc) or through HTC. I know that several Eris users who purchased via BB were able to exchange their phones for new ones at Verizon without a problem. Just in case you can't get it resolved with BB. Good Luck.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
Wow, shocked at how much grief the OP is getting. Most people who port their number from one carrier to another do not wait 30 days to see if the new phone works. Nice idea, it just doesn't happen. And that response completely ignores the original complaint: "If a store offers a 30 day exchange period, how can they not have any stock to exchange it for in that 30 day period?" He's not asking about the "return policy," he is commenting on the exchange policy! Of course Best Buy should make some allowance on the 30 days if they have no stock to exchange it with.

When I got my EVO, I tried to get it at Best Buy. I called first, they were out of stock but said I could come by and pre-order one and they would call me when it came in. I got there about 15 minutes after my phone call, only to be told they were "not taking any pre-orders." When I asked why I was told to pre-order on the phone, I got "sorry."

Upvote 0
My local BB never got any in stock either, but the mobile manager said she would swap it out as soon as they did. Since I've been burnt before, I still returned it on the 30th day. Good thing I did because one of the other employees said I would have been effed if I didn't get her promise in writing somehow, and she said she's seen people get screwed before by her manager, lol. Thank god there's still one honest BB employee left :p I've decided I'm going to wait for the EPIC to come out and see if HTC has gotten their EVO quality control down by then.

Upvote 0
So on the 6/4, I bought two EVOs. My wife's phone just started to randomly reboot. I had called the store and every time I did they never had the phone in stock. So 7/4 rolls around and here we are facing the 30 day mark. I call the store again...no phones. I say is there a way you can allow me to exchange this phone once you get more in stock. They tell me no. I had 30 days to make an exchange if something was wrong. I said that's all well and good IF you had the damn thing in stock. How can you tell someone you have 30 days to return or exchange something, but within that 30 days you have NO inventory. "Sorry sir".

I haven't read the rest of the threads.

My phone started rebooting 3 weeks after purchase. It seemed to do it when it had a low 3G signal. It was odd the problem appeared after owning it for 3 weeks.

The OTA update fixed my problem (for now...?).

I can only assume you ran the update and problem is still there? Did you remove battery after update?

Upvote 0
Same deal happened to me with Sprint Corp Store. Was an existing Sprint upgrade customer, tried to return at day 30, out of stock and said I COULD NOT EXCHANGE because it would be beyond 30-days when new shipments arrived. Spoke to Sprint retention and they said the store was on crack (not exact words), but retention could not make store mgr work with me on this. Store Mgr charged me $70 to return both phones, when all I wanted to do is exchange them! Love the EVO, but may be saying bye-bye to Sprint.

Upvote 0
So on the 6/4, I bought two EVOs. My wife's phone just started to randomly reboot. I had called the store and every time I did they never had the phone in stock. So 7/4 rolls around and here we are facing the 30 day mark. I call the store again...no phones. I say is there a way you can allow me to exchange this phone once you get more in stock. They tell me no. I had 30 days to make an exchange if something was wrong. I said that's all well and good IF you had the damn thing in stock. How can you tell someone you have 30 days to return or exchange something, but within that 30 days you have NO inventory. "Sorry sir".

I'm not sure what the grief is over the 30 day window. This is typically for new users trying out the carrier, or someone who might want to return an upgraded phone.

I'd take it to a Sprint store and have them do the warranty work!

Upvote 0
I hope me asking this question doesn't get this post deleted. I'm sorry if it's been asked already.

But was this a diffrent phone than the one you posted here?http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/109940-i-exchanged-my-evo-today.html#post1019209 :thinking:

No...that was MY phone. I exchanged it for a 0003 and got rid of the light leak I had. My wife has never even commented on light leak nor does she care about 0002/0003. She just wants to use the phone. That's what she's been doing until it started to reboot all the time.

I haven't read the rest of the threads.

My phone started rebooting 3 weeks after purchase. It seemed to do it when it had a low 3G signal. It was odd the problem appeared after owning it for 3 weeks.

The OTA update fixed my problem (for now...?).

I can only assume you ran the update and problem is still there? Did you remove battery after update?

I am not sure what the status is on her phone when it reboots. We'll just be sitting somewhere or sleeping and it does it. Her phone has had the OTA update. Still reboots. I did the reset that was suggested in here on it lastnight. It has not rebooted yet.

Is there not a year warranty on phones purchased at Best Buy? You should not have to worry about the 30 day threshold.

So it's clear to everyone. We were happy ATT customers. She loved her iPhone. She knew nothing of the EVO. I just said "hunny a better phone is coming out...we're switching to Sprint". She went along with this swap. The 30 day period is most important to me cause it allows me to get out and possibly go back to where I was, regardless of the 1yr warranty the phone may carry. Now, i'm stuck for two years. I could have simply returned it, went back and got her an iP4 and lived happily ever after. Oh, but no....I gotta now call Sprint tech support...deal with some guy doing his job..push this, what's this say, have you done this, try this, lets do that. A bunch of hassle.

Lastly, I am still waiting on the call from Best Buy. It'd be too much like right to call me back the same day, but I digress.

Upvote 0
...We were happy ATT customers. She loved her iPhone. She knew nothing of the EVO. I just said "hunny a better phone is coming out...we're switching to Sprint". She went along with this swap. The 30 day period is most important to me cause it allows me to get out and possibly go back to where I was, regardless of the 1yr warranty the phone may carry. Now, i'm stuck for two years. I could have simply returned it, went back and got her an iP4 and lived happily ever after...

If I were you, I would port my numbers back to AT&T and then fight with Sprint over the ETF.

Upvote 0
"dude", easy with the name calling.

I just asked a question. Where are the mods when you need them. I'm getting tired of you calling me a troll.

I'm just trying to figure out if you had two phones with issues or was this a diffrent issue from the other post.

I'm reporting you as per the zero tolerance.

Upvote 0
Update: Still nothing from the nice lady I talked to yesterday. She seemed very determined to get this taken care of for me. Since, I have decided to send an email to the company. Within the email I put a link to this thread.

"Best Buy Customer,

This is an auto-acknowledgement indicating we have received your inquiry.
We will respond to your inquiry within 3 business days."

I'm getting tired of you calling me a troll.
I'm already tired of you continuing to post. I have to deal with it, so....

I'm reporting you as per the zero tolerance.

That's fine.

Upvote 0
If I were you, I would port my numbers back to AT&T and then fight with Sprint over the ETF.

Why should he have to do that? It's not his fault the 30 days are up when he told them he had a issue way before that.

Dude if it was past my 30 days and my phone was still broken and I wasn't allowed to exchange it I'd raise all kinds of hell with BB. Not only would I send an email, but a old fashioned letter to the corporate office "hand written letters carry a tons more weight. I'd get a new TV out of it".

Damn them because now he's stuck in a contract with Sprint and will have to pay $200 to get out of it (unless BB offers to pay it) and buy back both phones and pay the transfer fee.

Any way he's not asking for our help he's just letting us and "BB" know how frustrated he is with their crappy customer service.

Upvote 0
Why should he have to do that? It's not his fault the 30 days are up when he told them he had a issue way before that.

Dude if it was past my 30 days and my phone was still broken and I wasn't allowed to exchange it I'd raise all kinds of hell with BB. Not only would I send an email, but a old fashioned letter to the corporate office "hand written letters carry a tons more weight. I'd get a new TV out of it".

Damn them because now he's stuck in a contract with Sprint and will have to pay $200 to get out of it (unless BB offers to pay it) and buy back both phones and pay the transfer fee.

Any way he's not asking for our help he's just letting us and "BB" know how frustrated he is with their crappy customer service.

Wait a minute....so you actually do understand my dilemma and see why i'm so pissed.

Upvote 0
Being that so many posts have been removed for inappropriate stuff, it now seems that I have to come in to edit some of your postings. People, enough of the troll references. I see nothing anyone is doing that constitutes a troll at this point.
OP had a valid purpose for this thread, regardless if he waited a bit long or not.
So lets get back on track, and either contribute to the thread at hand or not.

I don't want to come back in here to close this.

TS out

Upvote 0
I went in to BB to see if my glowing home row keys were an feature or bug...They didn't know but offered to let me get a new phone from the next shipment if I chose to. all they did was put my name on their call list and said I was #2 and they'd call me next week. No hassel no problems. I don't know if i'm going to swap out my phone for that reason though as I have absolutely no other issues thus far.

Upvote 0
Tell the bb manager your going to call every news channel where you live and tell them how they took your money but won't exchange the phone. Where I live one of the channels has a reporter who investigates crap like this and 99% of the time because he gets involved the company doesn't want bad publicity so they fix the problem. A news report on how bb won't honor their 30 day return/exchange policy might wake the manager up. Also get the regional managers name and number and tell him/her that one of his managers isn't honoring the exchange.

You can get this phone replaced one way or another you just need to go to the bb store and be assertive. Don't take no for an answer. If the manager doesn't help go above his head to the regional manager.

Upvote 0
Update:

Well the lady never called me back. I called again and spoke with a different guy, Brendan. Leslie the first time. So after explaining the whole thing to him all over again. He places me on hold and calls the store. He speaks to the lady that told me no originally. She told him there new policy is not to extend the return policy on cellphones in any way. She also told him that within my 30 days they did get allotments of phones, but obviously I called at the wrong time....when they didn't. So the fact that I missed the spurts of inventory and i'm now outside of 30 days....there is nothing they will do. Brendan sides with this.

Complete and utter bullshit! I am done with the store all together.

Upvote 0
Update:

Well the lady never called me back. I called again and spoke with a different guy, Brendan. Leslie the first time. So after explaining the whole thing to him all over again. He places me on hold and calls the store. He speaks to the lady that told me no originally. She told him there new policy is not to extend the return policy on cellphones in any way. She also told him that within my 30 days they did get allotments of phones, but obviously I called at the wrong time....when they didn't. So the fact that I missed the spurts of inventory and i'm now outside of 30 days....there is nothing they will do. Brendan sides with this.

Complete and utter bullshit! I am done with the store all together.

Yup I agree it's totally your fault. You should have camped outside Best Buy all month for your replacement. Why should they have to service their customer? They sell you the garbage, and you GTFO and don't come back, ya hear?

Seriously, I would try working with Consumerist. They have a history of getting justice for the little guy:

mailto:tips@consumerist.com
The Consumerist

Write them a headline with subject "Best Buy Customer Service: First Come First Serve"

Also check out this story, same thing different product:
Best Buy Wouldn't Exchange My Broken Xbox Because It Was Saving Stock For Sales Event - The Consumerist

GREEDY strong handed corporate policies... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Best Buy.

Upvote 0
Update: Issue resolved

Well, today I got a voicemail and an email from a lady at BB corp. She received my email I sent with a link to this thread. She stated that she called the store and apparently spoke to the GM. They mentioned how sorry they were for the issues my wife was having. She invited us to the store today to meet with the GM to see if they could rectify this problem. Little did we know, they had a shiney new WHITE EVO there waiting to exchange with my wife. The lady from cust serv took us over to mobile and they without hassle excanged the phone.
FINALLY my wife has a smile on her face in regards to this phone company move. I'd like to publicly thank those at BB that realized customer service is most important. To have me a happy customer verses publicly posting my dismay for them all over the Internet will overall benefit them more than it does me. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones