• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pixel 2 and AD2P / AVRCP

alabamatoy

Aug 9, 2017
New Pixel 2. Three different car radios, all support AD2P and AVRCP in some form, and all 3 have worked with other Android phones. With my Pixel 2, I get the audio, but no control or track info whatsoever. The newest radio is a Kenwood Excelon KDC X898, and when I pair it with the Pixel 2, it will carry the audio, but the display says "check device". The phone functions seem to work.

Is there something I have to do within the Droid to turn on AD2P and/or AVRCP in order to make this work? I cannot seem to find anything in the settings... Since its all 3 radios, and all 3 work with other phones, I'm pretty sure its a problem within my phone.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

You might try experimenting with the Bluetooth AVRCP Version developer option to see if an older/newer version works better for you. If you don't already have Developer Options enabled, do so by going to Settings > System > About phone and tapping the Build number field 7 times. You can then find the options at Settings > System > Developer options.

You'll need to reboot each time you change the Bluetooth AVRCP Version option. If you find a combination that works for your equipment, please be sure to report it to Google via Settings > System > About phone > Send feedback about this device along with the specific details of your accessories.

Upvote 0
Google tech support has created a support ticket for this. They had me wipe and reload the phone OS, which produced exact same results. Google has escalated the ticket. When I bought the Pixel, I added an extra service support policy, so we will see how well it works. I will report back on this if I make any progress.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Are you activating Pandora from the radio side or from the phone side?
Turn on the radio, pair, select Bluetooth Pandora, it will say something like turn on app and press pause. I activate Pandora on the phone and it starts playing audio over the radio, but the radio display changes to "check device" and never updates. Pause, next etc doesnt work on the radio, and no display of track info.

I verified this similar behavior on another (different model) radio, same behavior. I am starting to think there is a repeatable problem here. I can't believe I am the only person using a Pixel 2 for this, though.

Have you tested with Google Play Music to see if that works any differently?
I have not, I will attempt that later today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones